Sunday, June 11, 2017

Training Week: June 05 - June 11 - Market Square Day 10K

Derrick and myself enjoying the 'roaring falls' on the Castle in the Clouds property... Photo by Andrew Drummond - skithewhites.com


Week of June 05 - June 11

06-05 - [Monday] - PM: 7.5 miles roads with Darin and Nick. On the chilly side.

06-06 - [Tuesday] - Off. Legs needed a break after Cranmore. Should have gone easier on Sunday and maybe even Monday... Going to try to run easy miles this week to recover for a 10k on Saturday.

06-07 - [Wednesday] - AM: 10.7 roads solo.  Moores Pond loop.  PM: 6.7 miles trails w/ Kevin in Albany from his house.  Yanked some clad from his yard after.... He made me help him move the heaviest picnic table I've ever seen (or tried to pick up)...

06-08 - [Thursday] - AM: 3 miles roads at lunch. Was going to go more but my buddy swung over... PM: 11 miles roads and class vi (off) road w/ Andy.  Big High St. loop + New Rd. cut-through. Very warm out. Bonked at 3 miles and felt like crap the rest of the way. Good times.

06-09 - [Friday] - AM: 6 miles roads w/ Andy easy.  Was going to do another run later but then...I didn't.

06-10 - [Saturday] - AM: 2.5 miles warm up w/ Quints, Ruben, Aguila, Switaj, Garfield, Hamel + 10k race (6.3 on the Garmin) - Market Square Day 10k - 5th OA - 34:08 (results) + 2.5 miles c/down out to New Castle and back w/ Quints, Hamel, and Downtown D. Brown.

06-11 - [Sunday] - AM: 19 miles trails w/ Derrick Hamel and Andy Drummond. Ossipee Range loop. Roberts/Shaw/Black Snout/Turtleback/Bald Knob.  VERY HOT but great run. Awesome views. Great trails.  Too bad I indirectly made Derrick wipe out about 12 miles in....He finished up like a trooper...but a little bloodied...


75.2 miles for the week on 10 runs.

Not a disaster of a week by any means.  Had to take a zero on Tuesday but still managed 75 miles on 6 days which is good (for me).  Ran w/ Kevin for the first time since late in the first Obama administration and saw Mike Quintal for the first time in a year or so...maybe more.

On Saturday I had a borderline abysmal race on one hand and OK on the other... depending on which way you look at it.  On the one hand, I ran my 10th Market Square Day 10k.  I have run it every year since 2007 except 2015 when I had a stress fracture.  I was 5th this year.  I've finished worse.  On the other hand, I was surprisingly slow 'time-wise'.

My history at the Market Square Day 10K...

2007 - 10th of 1398 - [34:07]
2008 - 4th of 1536 - [33:01]
2009 - 3rd of 1665 - [32:45]
2010 - 7th of 1730 - [32:47]
2011 - 3rd of 1740 - [31:56]
2012 - 2nd of 1771 - [32:33]
2013 - 5th of 1694 - [33:10]
2014 - 5th of 1898 - [34:06]
2016 - 9th of 1590 - [33:57]
2017 - 5th of 1367 - [34:08]

I've never finished 1st, 6th, or 8th... but I have every other place in the top 10 covered.... I peaked out at 2nd OA in 2012 and a sub 32 effort in 2011 when I was essentially PR'ing all over the place. Ahh to be young again.

As you can see I ran my slowest time by 1 second this year.... Not pleased about that but also know it was a bit warm out there and I have Cranmore still a bit in my legs.  I did manage to run an OK race 'race-wise' meaning that the top 3 guys that beat me are basically never going to find their way behind me in a race unless (ahem, Nick) it's up a ski slope in North Conway.... However I did manage to dual back and forth with Andy Huebner and Matt Garfield for a bit early, then Derrick Hamel later on in the end miles.  Derrick was able to dump me at about 5 miles give or take....and it was for good. I was actually in front of him at 4.5 and sitting in 4th OA but he outran me in the last mile and really pulled away.  I kind of wallowed back in 5th for the rest of the race once he broke free and I just tried to keep my place. I knew my time was going to be atrocious.  But a lot of guys had tougher days than I did out there....Won my age group though!  :).

We hung out for the majority of the late morning and early afternoon walking around Portsmouth and shopping. We had lunch with my parents and aunt and then walked around (maybe a bit too long) in the blazing hot sun...but it was a great family day (as it usually is).

Some video from the lovely and talented Kristin...


All my MSD 10k medals (age or overall) since 2007. Only missed 2015 as I had a stress fracture and didn't race.


Wrapped up the week with a great run in the Ossipees with Andy and Derrick.  It was pretty damn hot but fortunately (except for the peaks) most of the run was in the woods and some decent shade.  Got in 19 miles with about 3700 feet of climbing.  Some great VT 50 training! (Just kidding).



Photo by Andrew Drummond - skithewhites.com


Ended Sunday with a few hours at the beach down the rd. w/ the family.








2 comments:

  1. Nice job at MSD Jim! Always fun to see you out there competing hard and having a good time. You ran well, but i'm going to need you to do better so that I can sniff a few Seacoast age-group victories this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thanks Matt...I thought that when I was very briefly in 4th...but then when I couldn't even make out 3rd place, that plan kinda went south :)... I'll see what I can do next time! :). Good run out there. We have 5 more years together at MSD10K in the 40-49 so we have opportunities :).

    ReplyDelete