Sunday, March 26, 2017

Training Week: March 13 - March 19 + March 20 - March 26 + Gilmanton 5k

 Week of March 20 - March 26

03-20 - [Monday] - PM: 8 miles.

03-21 - [Tuesday] - AM: 5 miles easy roads. PM:  10 miles roads w/ Darin.

03-22 - [Wednesday] - PM: 10 miles uptempo.

03-23 - [Thursday] - AM: 5 miles easy. PM: 10.1 miles roads w/ Darin.

03-24 - [Friday] - AM: 6.3 miles.

03-25 - [Saturday] - PM: 4.1 mile w/ up w/ Dunham, Tilton, Mahoney (ran the course) and then more w/ DD (another mile w/ strides) + 3.1 mile race (Gilmanton 5k - 2nd OA - 17:22 (results)) then 3.1 mile cooldown.

03-26 - [Sunday] - PM: 6 miles.


70.7 miles on 11 runs.  

Good CMS contingent at the start....Tilton, Dunham, JJ, Mahoney...RD Scott Clark with his back to the camera.

I've all but given up on Boston and will just be 'running it' or bagging it.  It is kind of a pain in the a$$ now to be honest. I don't have any desire whatsoever to run 20 mile workouts in the cold and snow (or on the treadmill)...and I have even less of a desire to race a marathon on a Monday right before my birthday...

This week I ran the first CARS series race and it was my first time running the Gilmanton 5k.  It's got to be the slowest road 5k around for sure (Dave Dunham did a blog post a few years back about the All Time Sub 18 list at Gilmanton).  Needless to say, unless your name is Eric Morse and you're in 14:2X shape at the time, you won't be looking at breaking the record there and probably aren't going to break 16 if history is any indication...  The hill during the 3rd mile was all snow and a couple of mud tire tracks which made the climb a bit slower than usual.  Otherwise, the weather was pretty good. I just suck at downhill running right now.  I wouldn't even say my uphill was that great but it was better than my downhill.  During the first mile I got passed by the eventual race winner Warren Bartlett and my CMS teammate Chris Mahoney.  They opened up a pretty big gap with Warren comfortably out in the lead and Chris halfway between Warren and myself.  I was starting to realize I am not even able to break 5 minutes on a downhill mile right now.

When I hit the bottom of the hill and took the snowy turn onto Currier Hill Rd. I was in deep third and was only about 10 yards in front of 11 year old phenom Aiden Cox.  I started to get concerned that not only was I going to get smoked by Warren and Chris but now I had to try to deal with Aiden getting his first (of soon-to-be-many) scalp of me in a 5k.  I didn't give up though and just put my head down and looked for the best route to take up the climb.  Occasionally I looked up to see Chris battling with Warren.  They were now running together and they were weaving all over the road trying to find the best footing.

By the end of the climb, Warren had about a 10-15 yard lead on Chris and I had caught up to Chris.  I went past him and then had my sights set on 1st place.  He looked to be hurting a bit so I went from thinking 4th place or worse, to actually winning it....but those hopes were dashed as soon as I got within about 5 yards of him and the last downhill section started.  He took off and outdistanced me by about 10 seconds over the last .2 or so.  Unfortunately the race didn't continue to climb to the finish.  I may have been able to squeak it out if it had...but that last downhill section was the final nail and I had to settle for 2nd and hold off a charging Mahoney who was only 7 seconds back.

Overall though I'm satisfied with the 'race'. The time...not so much...but I didn't completely suck and give up too much like I was afraid I would. I hung tough and had some fight in me over the last part of the race which is a definite plus.  $100 cash for the 2nd place finish doesn't hurt either.


I also got to town-bag Gilmanton.  I had never run in that town before.  Thanks to race directory (and CMS legend) Scotty Clark and his family for putting the event on.  I may have to go back next year now that I know what that hill is all about.

Also, some catch up from last week... Forgot to post what went on during the running-phase (which is a whole lot of not much)....

Week of March 13 - March 19

03-13 - [Monday] - PM: 8 miles roads with Andy late in the day...

03-14 - [Tuesday] - off.  Storm hit pretty hard and Mill was closed.

03-15 - [Wednesday] - AM: 5 miles roads.  PM10 miles. 3 w/ up + 12 x 400 @ 5:00 pace with 1:00 in between each + cooldown.

03-16 - [Thursday] - AM: 5 miles roads. PM8 miles. Had to wait 20+ min for a treadmill...so cut the run a little short. Don was looking good hammering out the miles...

03-17 - [Friday] - AM: 5.1 miles roads.

03-18 - [Saturday] - PM: 10 miles on the mill and then about 3 minutes on the elliptical to see what all the fuss was about (it is by far the most popular machine in the room and people are cut-throat when it comes to getting their time in). It wasn't that bad actually. But I'm counting that 3 minutes...

03-19 - [Sunday] - AM: 14.3 miles with first 11 as a light progression...then easier 3+.


65.4 miles on 8 runs (6 days).  

Low motivation. One bagged day due to the storm and just pure laziness.  There was snow everywhere....then Tuesday happened and there was even more snow all over the snow we already had which blows.  Sh*tty weather in general. Not good at all for quality work and even if it was, I probably wouldn't have done it anyways.


No comments:

Post a Comment