Sunday, February 5, 2017

Training Week: January 30 - February 5


Week of January 30 - February 5

01-30 - [Monday] - PM: 8 miles.

01-31 - [Tuesday] - PM: 10 miles.

02-01 - [Wednesday] - PM: 9 miles (56:25) w 6 x 800 @ 5k pace in the second half.

02-02 - [Thursday] - AM: 5 miles roads.

02-03 - [Friday] - AM: 8 miles roads. Cold and windy.  Not fun. PM: 8 miles mill.  Warm and dry.  Fun.

02-04 - [Saturday] - AM: 8 miles.

02-05- [Sunday] - AM: 2 miles w/up (short warmup + strides) + 5k race (Super Bowl Chili 5k (results) - Manchester, NH - 2nd OA - 16:04) + 2 miles cooldown.  Warmup/down with Hamel, Weston, and Pat Ard.  Barely got the warmup in and was disinterested in a cooldown.  

63 miles on 10 runs.

Another ho-hum week training-wise with less than I planned for but I am having no problems at least getting out the door. I wimped out on Thursday night and instead of going to the mill, I took the family out to dinner.  So I lost 8-10 miles there but I'd rather be at dinner w/ the family than running so it was all good.

The race on Sunday was a good rust buster and wake up call. 5:10-5:15 feels AWFUL. I ran 'uncomfortably comfortable'.  I basically ran with no b*lls and just sat content in 2nd almost the entire race.  Hamel pulled away over the last half mile and I did nothing except look behind me to make sure I was enough ahead of Brandyn.  Course, time, etc. aside, I should have just raced better but didn't have anything to offer Derrick in form of competition.  Hopefully I get that kind of late-race drive back sooner than later.  First race since September though!  Crazy.  The more I do this, hopefully the better things will go. It's ONLY February 5th, so I guess I'll take it!

I also got a new machine this week.  Yes, it's the first week of February and yes there's still 1.5 feet + of snow covering everything and yes the ground underneath that is very much frozen...but I got a new machine!  I picked up a Makro Racer 2 pro pack.  With the machine comes a stock 11x7" search coil and a 5"sniper coil. I also ordered an additional 15.5x13 big search coil that will help me in the fields and to identify the deep targets.  I also got a slew of other bags, digging tools, a new pinpointer, a couple pairs of headphones (including wireless headphones that were backordered) and some other stuff with it.  Overall it's going to be like starting all over again, which is nice. I'll be able to go over all the same areas again with this new machine that I think is much more stable and more sensitive than my other previous machine. It has more search modes, more depth, and seems to handle better in the iron.  The only thing that seems to be a letdown with it is that it's not fully waterproof (which I knew about before I ordered it).  So I'll have to get another Garrett AT Pro (to replace the current one I have that I believe is faulty) for water hunting (only).   But I'll worry about that when the summer comes...which seems very far away at this point.

I may do a comparison video of the two machines I have at some point before I start using it outside... just to compare the features and initial impressions I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment