Sunday, December 18, 2016

Training Week: December 12 - December 18

About as close as you can get with both of them looking in the general direction of the camera...


Week of December 12 - December 18

12-12 - [Monday] - AM: 8 miles. PM: 10 miles.

12-13 - [Tuesday] - AM: 6 miles. Got a little screwed w/ the schedule and couldn't get the full planned run in or another run later.  Daddy duty in the PM.  Also took a scary wipeout head first on the snowy shoulder right in front of oncoming traffic on 113 during the run.  A car swerved to avoid me and another guy stopped and got out to make sure I was ok as I laid there in the snow and gravel.  It was one of those worst case scenarios you think about when you are running against traffic on snow and ice...slipping and falling right as a car is going by. Good thing I fell the other direction into the shoulder. Was a little p*ssed after that and bailed at 6. Could have probably fit in 8 before my next conference call but probably needed the rest anyways. Scratched up my iPod pretty good in the fall. It still works though, as the 80s big hair music still sounds decent through my headphones.

12-14 - [Wednesday] - AM: 6 miles roads. PM: 12 miles with the middle 10 miles in 60:00. (73:56).

12-15 - [Thursday] - PM: 10 miles.

12-16 - [Friday] - PM: 10 miles.

12-17 - [Saturday] - PM: a few ski runs up and down the back trails breaking in the xc skis until I wiped out... then 12 miles.

12-18 - [Sunday] - PM: 16 miles.

90 miles on 9 runs.

Felt better as the week went on as far as my cold goes (it was pretty much gone by Tuesday).  But my allergies were kicking my ass to the curb by Sunday.  Had to go short on Tuesday which kind of put me behind a little, but I'm over-planning with the expectation that I may come up a little short each week. So I'm still getting a decent block of mileage in.  Another good easy tempo effort on Wednesday and I'm starting to feel those 10 mile runs are getting a lot easier.  I may back down a bit this coming week or two as 90 is a bit too high for me at this point I think.  75-85 is a good target to hit with regularity...if only it was that easy all the time.

In other related running news. It was very cool (and I was pleasantly surprised) to see that I got NH Runner of the Year this year. I haven't gotten it since 2008 and 2009.  I was on a good tear last year and then got hurt which basically killed my chances...but I did get recognized for the first half of 2015 when they do the mid-year recap.  This year, even though I didn't race past the VT 50 at the end of September, I did get 31 races in and won 17 of them (not including my RTB legs) without any weekly series races (which generally give me even more 'W's), so it was a good stretch considering.  I had a few ok races time-wise, but it was just more of a widespread year of going to a bunch of races consistently up through the late summer and doing well at some of the bigger events.  Being the first NH runner at Mount Washington definitely helped...and winning the Seacoast Series is generally a good step in that direction.  Special thanks to Nancy Eckerson and Andy Schachat for putting this list together and recognizing me this year.  Andy joked around with me this year a couple times about how I last won the NH Runner of the Year in 2009 and that 'it's been a long time'....'2008 and 2009 were a long time ago'.   He told me that I needed to do something else soon so he could stop having to go so far back to say something about me when he announces me at races.  I thought that was funny but he was right.  After Mt. Washington, he came up to me and indicated that the Crossan Cup was a good step in that direction.  Now he has something a little more recent to say about me this coming year :).  Hopefully I make it to the starting line!

Need to start my Christmas shopping this week...


6 comments:

  1. Hey congrats on the NHROY. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks GZ! There are tons of faster guys out there but it's all about showing up all year and spreading yourself thin across 50 different 5ks all over the place :). Hope all is well with you out there. See you on the hill this summer? I still have your damn shoes in my shed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has NE-grand Prix racing written all over it 🤔

    ReplyDelete
  4. negatory. I don't think I'll make it to even one of those. Kind of a shame because I've wanted to run a season or two of the GP when I turn a master...but the schedule sucks. I could go on and on... but in the end, just not interested in any of the races whatsoever. Also the first 3 races are all before my birthday anyways. The open team doesn't need me and I can't help the masters team. Beyond that, the last 4 maybe has 1 that doesn't conflict with other stuff I want to do...so my NE GP days are probably long over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well then come pace me to a Pr at jones - could use the help

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Jeff, you say that like I can easily just 'run' along side you. I appreciate the compliment :). Jones is the same day as a snowshoe race I'd prefer to go to unfortunately. You'll really be better off hanging on to Vassallo or Jenkins or someone like that and getting a big PR the easy way :)

    ReplyDelete