Monday, October 17, 2016

October 17 - Monday

A view from atop the Chimney in Freedom, NH.  Hiked w/ my Dad this past weekend.


I actually ran today.  5 miles (5.06 miles to be exact...gotta add the extra .06 to make sure Strava can handle a full 5 miles).  37:19.  It's only my 3rd run since the VT 50 on 9/25.  I tried running a couple times (one 5+ mile day and a 3 mile day) a week and a half ago but it was too painful.  I've had 'ok' days and bad days.  The last couple days were 'ok'.  I didn't want to start a 4th week in a row with no running so I went out today after work for an easy jaunt down the street.  The weather was awesome and it felt great to run but it was painful.  It's like running with the worst side stitch and then some...

I've been taking some strong pain medication which helps me get through the day and helps me get some ok sleep, especially over the last week.  The first couple weeks were rough with trying to sleep. I had to sleep sitting partially up the first week after the race.  The second week I was able to start laying very carefully on my back and partially on my left side.  This past week I can sleep comfortably on my back or left side although rolling over and getting up/laying down need to be done very carefully. It feels like I'm tearing something whenever I roll over or get up.  

The GOOD news is that my legs feel great! :).  They should after not running for 3 weeks and running slow today.  I've done a fair share of walking as I've been detecting just about every day for at least 1-2 hours.  Today was the first day in a long time that I haven't at least swung the coil for even just a little while.  Now that the days are getting shorter, I may not be able to get any detecting in until the weekends.  I need to get focused back on training again but am going to take it slow.  I've backed out of everything I had planned for the fall (race-wise). I need to bail out of the last two Seacoast Series races but I already have my 6...enough to wrap up that series.  No fall marathon for me.  Perhaps it's for the best.  I'm going to focus on getting back to some running each day and then hopefully by the start of November I can start a serious push for 2017.  Probably no racing until the snowshoe season starts...hopefully there's a season this year.

Some colors from my afternoons detecting around Madison...

No comments:

Post a Comment