Monday, August 15, 2016

Training Week: August 8 - August 14



Week of August 8 - August 14

August 8 - [Monday] - AM: 7.6 miles (roads and trails) with Andy.  Exploring new trails on 'New Rd.'.
August 9 - [Tuesday] - AM: 5 miles (roads) at lunch, easy.  PM: 2.1 mile warmup before Madison '5k'.  Then Race: Madison '5k' (Jim Wellinghurst Memorial 5k). (3 miles) 1st OA. 15:48.  3 mile cooldown with Peter, Andy, and Roger.
August 10 - [Wednesday] - AM: 10.3 miles (trails).  In Madison/Freedom town forest.  First 3 solo pushing the pace to catch up to Andy and Hill & Squall. Then last 7.3 with them easy on the trails (single track and snowmo).
August 11 - [Thursday] - AM: 5 miles (roads) at lunch, easy. Horrendously hot out... PM: 8 miles (trails and roads) after work.  First 5 with Darin in the Pine Barrens and last 3 solo on the roads near the beach. HOT!
August 12 - [Friday] - AM: 6 miles (roads). Horrendously hot out again...even worse than Wed.  Felt like crap the rest of the day.  PM: 3.4 miles (trails) in Conway. Just beating out the rain.  Wanted to get more in but felt like sh*t. The heat definitely got to me earlier in the day.
August 13 - [Saturday] - 8 miles (roads).  Early run before heading down to Boston w/ the family for the day.
August 14 - [Sunday] - 22.3 miles (trails). Got lost probably the worst I've ever been.  Thought about having to spend the night in the backcountry. Bad conditions in spots (wet, grown in trails) and trails that no longer exist, etc.  Made the most of the 5 hours I was running all over the place trying to figure out where to go.  At least the weather was ok.

84.2 miles for the week.  Another good step forward.  Got some ok runs in, but nothing too quality road-wise.... I did run 80+ miles for a week for only the 4th time all year.  I did it once in Jan and twice in Feb.  That was it.  Pretty crazy to think I haven't done that volume since but that's the way the year has gone.  No real injuries, just not a lot of focus on putting in the work. The positive for sure this week is that I got to run the Madison 5k again this year (4th time in 5 years I've been here for it...last year had to miss with injury). I've won it 4 times. I have probably timed it just right to have only really faced someone else in or near tip-top shape in the valley once (Tim ran it a few years ago and wasn't too far back).  I haven't had to race Nick when he's been 100% or Zach at 100%, etc. Kevin hasn't been at the race since before I moved here and most of the others that come seem to either run easy for one reason or another....I think maybe the one year I was here and Tim ran all out, he was under 16 (and even then, it was if I recall, after he already did a workout earlier in the day). Every other year, it's been only me running under 16. 15:04 is the record from my first run at it in 2012.  Tim was low 15-teens or so one year I think...and I have found a result with him around 15:20 from some years back.  Through the RD, I have access to all the results going back to the 1990s (a big folder full of hard copy results) so I may put together something this winter as a project, with some history of race times, etc.


  • 2012: 1st - 15:04 (CR)
  • 2013: 1st - 15:32
  • 2014: 1st - 15:15
  • 2015: injured. Didn't race.
  • 2016: 1st - 15:48


Definitely not trending entirely in the right direction with the times but it was still nice to get the race in.  Kristin actually ran, which was great.  It's only her 2nd ever official race.  She once did the Turkey Trot with me in Salem but that was a pretty crappy experience.  It was a very low key race and they didn't bother to wait for her to finish (they forgot she was still out there or didn't even know who was still out on course) before they shut the clock off and all went inside the gym.  I went back to run with her after I finished and when we came up to the finish, there was literally no one there.  They didn't even know she was in the race (we had to tell them when we went inside, what her time was) but it was all good because they messed up the results anyways so they were never even published.  She ended up walk/jogging because of her knees (surgery).  This year, she decided to do the Madison race with me and did great.  She was 50th of 88 people, nearly being able to stay with Roger Marcoux (a former winner of the race) but she had to take a natural break in the woods around 2 miles.  Otherwise she probably would have been able to stay with him to the finish. She still ran 28-mid for her first real 5k race.  My parents came again to watch us run and watch the kids.

We did well for the Old Home Week this week. We hit the beach dance party last weekend (and Kristin and the kids went to the blueberry bake sale after), the race on Tuesday, the ice cream smorgasbord and concert on Monday, and the fireworks on Friday.  We missed the bean hole supper on Saturday, which we usually go to.  It was pouring and we were on our way back from Boston so we decided on a family dinner inside at the best Chinese food restaurant in all of Wakefield.  Boston was fun on Saturday as we took the kids to the Children's Museum.

I opted out of the Cigna 5k on Thursday as I was planning on maybe going down with Nick Brown, who expressed interest in maybe carpooling to the race...but then on Tuesday at the Madison 5k he hinted at not going because his knee was bothering him, so I figured I'd pass too (it was hot as hell on Thursday).  Well, he ended up going anyways but I found out too late so I opted out of it (kind of had no choice as I found out when he was already on the road). Bummer.  Next up will be the next Seacoast Series race in Rye on Thursday night.

with my Mom and the girls... 
Kristin coming around the last corner and me peeling off...

In the home stretch...

The fam...post race.







Approaching one of my favorite stretches of trail in The Whites...

Off the Sawyer River Trail...

Sawyer River Trail...love this view.  A nice tunnel for a couple miles.

Off the Sawyer River Trail 
Sawyer River Trail...one of my favorites.  Flat, straight, and runnable. Kevin once told me it was an 'old railroad bed'....Ok Kevin told me this a lot more than once...

Sawyer River Trail...one of my favorites.  Flat, straight, and runnable.

Off the Sawyer River Trail...

Sawyer River Trail...one of my favorites.  Flat, straight, and runnable. 
Sawyer River Trail...one of my favorites.  Flat, straight, and runnable.

Greeley Ponds

One of the only humans I encountered in 22+ miles. Greeley Pond fisherman.

Trail into the pond.

Greeley Ponds

Greeley Ponds

View off the trail into Greeley Ponds.

Ironically the only trail sign photo I got...I would come back to this multiple times later on...

Nice new bridge...that I also crossed multiple times...

No comments:

Post a Comment