Sunday, April 3, 2016

Week of March 28 - April 3 - SEA 5k

Week of March 28 - April 3 - SEA 5k

March 28 (Monday) - PM: 10.7 miles hilly roads with Andy (9 w/ Andy, 1.7 solo). POURING rain.
March 29 (Tuesday) - AM: 10 miles workout (58:16).  Short but uptempo warmup and cooldowns wth 6 x 1 mile in the middle at 5:10 with 400 rest in between (at 6:58 pace).
March 30 (Wednesday) - AM:  7 miles roads/snow-mo trails relatively easy.
March 31 (Thursday) - AM: 5 miles roads/snow-mo trails.  Got home and sat down at my desk chair and sat on a hornet that proceeded to sting me 3 times in the left hamstring. PM: 8 miles roads/trails.
April 1 (Friday) - AM: 6.2 miles roads / trails w/ Andy.  PM: 5.2 miles easy roads w/ Andy.
April 2 (Saturday) - AM: 3 miles warmup + 3.2 miles (5k) race (SEA 5k - 1st OA - 15:55) + 2 miles cooldown.
April 3 (Sunday) - off

Weekly Summary: 60.3 miles for the week.

Another missed run on Sunday (three in a row) but the weather was crap, I was feeling run down, and there was relics to find.  I opted out of Paddy's because I wasn't feeling the drive, running in freezing cold, wind, and snow (as it is now officially April)... Another 6 days with a day off.  One race and a nice win.   Ran the SEA 5k (results) in Concord, NH on Saturday for the second time ever.  I got 2nd to Chris Mahoney back in 2009.  This year we switched places and both ran faster than the previous match up.  I was 28 seconds faster than in 2009 but I'm not sure if the 2009 course was slightly long as I think it is now... there's a possibility because I didn't have a Garmin back then.  This year I had 3.2 on my Garmin and splits of 4:55, 5:01 (9:56), 5:03 (14:59) and then a very long 56 seconds to the end.   My watch matched up pretty much dead on the mile markers with a couple steps.  I went out quick, held pace as best I could, but still Chris caught me steadily over the first mile and went by me at about 1.25 miles and I thought that was it.  I caught him back probably around 1.5 and then actually put some steps on him until around 2 when he pulled right up on my shoulder again.  He went a step or so in front of me again and I thought for sure (again) that that was it.  But then I slowly passed by and put a small gap on him that by 3 miles was probably 6 or 7 seconds.  He looked to be slowly gaining on me after the third mile split and the long push to the finish but I was able to hold him off by a measly 5 seconds. I knew at 2 miles we were running well and thought 15:30s high/15:40 was sure to come.  Even at 3 miles I was just one tick under 15 and was sure it would be 15:40 or just under but alas that came and went.

On the treasure hunting front... hit up a new secret spot / honey hole and yanked a few interesting items this week including some old colonial buttons and a couple Indians.  The first one I got was a 1865 and is in decent shape... I didn't clean it too much as I tend to ruin them everytime from overdoing it.  The second one I got was an 1863... my first 'fatty'.  They made noticeably thicker Indian heads from 1859 - 1864.

1865 Indian
1863 'fatty' Indian
6 Indians stacked on top...can you spot the fatty?

Below are some shots of the crotal bell I found on Sunday back at the colonial orgy site.  It has the J N maker's mark which I believe dates it to 1800-1803

James North, Jr.
J N or I N maker's mark on petal bells.
James (born 1777, died 1825) made bells in his New Britain foundry from 1800 to 1803 after he and Joseph Shipman completed a metal-casting apprenticeship in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. Both men worked together in 1800 casting sleigh bells, then went their separate ways.  James then operated the North foundry with his younger brother Seth (below) until James moved to New York state in 1803.  Bells marked with I N are thought to be older than the J N bells. Bells have either a drilled shank or a U-shaped cast shank.

And lastly, a couple of other doodads I picked up including this pretty sweet bell (this weekend was the weekend to dig bells I guess) and a nice 1827-1840 Scovills (Waterbury CT) brass button.

And the bell in the pasture...