Sunday, February 14, 2016

Week of February 8 - February 14

Week of February 8 - February 14

February 8 (Monday) - AM: 5 miles easy. Couldn't get back out in the PM...Daddy duty.
February 9 (Tuesday) - AM: 5 miles easy.  PM: 10 miles (63:30).
February 10 (Wednesday) - AM: 5 miles easy.  PM: 10 miles normal.
February 11 (Thursday) - PM: 10 miles (66:40). No am run...busy with work and wasn't feeling great. Hamstring also acting up a little but I think it's just due to the fact that I inadvertently stopped stretching.
February 12 (Friday) - AM: 5 miles easy.  PM: 5 miles easy.  Hamstring pretty bad on the PM run.
February 13 (Saturday) - PM: 8.5 miles as 3 mile w/ up (2 on the road at 1 on snowshoes) + 3.5 mile race (Kingman Farm Snowshoe Race (results) - 1st OA) + 2 mile cooldown.  Hamstring barked once during the first half mile and then was fine.
February 14 (Sunday) - AM: 8.7 miles as 3.1 mile w/up (road and snowshoe) + 3.5 mile race (Horsehill Snowshoe Race  (results) - 1st OA) + 2.1 mile cooldown (roads).  Felt pretty beat but managed to hold everything in check.

Weekly Summary: 72.2 miles for the week.  2 races.  2 wins.

Decent week although I had a couple days I couldn't do a double so the mileage was a bit lower than I planned but maybe that was a good thing.  With 2 snowshoe races this weekend I probably made the right move (inadvertently).  The Saturday night / Sunday morning double wasn't as bad as I thought (at my age) although I was a little spent at the end of Horsehill.  The windchill and low temps also zapped the energy a little bit.  Definitely a long weekend... I had just over an hour's worth of a ride to get to Kingman (and then home) so I didn't end up getting home until a bit late on Saturday night.  I had to immediately do a bunch of laundry so I had stuff to race in the next morning and didn't get to bed until about midnight.  Up at 6 and on the road to make the 2 hour trip down to Merrimack, NH for Horsehill at 10am.  It was -16 degrees up and over the big lake as I cut across to 93.  By the time I was at Horsehill it had 'warmed up' to -8.  All in all though, I was glad to get in a couple of honest efforts on the snowshoes.  I had my CMS teammate Colin Carroll who is in great shape for so early in the year (or by my rationale, any time of year), keep me on my toes in both races.  I'll try to get to a race writeup for these two races maybe tomorrow.  I was lucky to be able to hold him off in both races but it's cool to see more fast guys getting out and giving the snowshoeing a go.

I was very proud to have been able to spot my longtime friend and teammate Dan Vassallo representing CMS and New England very well at the 2016 Olympic Trials on Saturday.  I believe with DD, Nate, and now Dan, I have 3 teammates that have made it to what is for most, the pinnacle of US marathoning.  Very cool to have such amazing and talented teammates for sure.  It was also great to see fellow NH runner Andy Huebner make it to the line after what has been a very difficult but inspiring last couple years for him.  I'm sure these guys will both be back next time...  There were a lot of New Englanders out there on both the men's and women's side and it was great to see them all toe the line and give it their best in less than ideal conditions.  It's going to be very interesting to see what Rupp ends up doing in the Games.  I hope he holds up and goes into them healthy...that could be his only obstacle... That and some East African running a sub 2:05...

Sunday afternoon was spent w/ my girls on Valentines.  They are slowly destroying the house little by little, but they are cute doing it...

The girls enjoying Valentines Day 2016