Sunday, January 24, 2016

Week of January 18 - January 24

Another pic from last weekend's Whitaker Woods Snowshoe Scramble in the Daily Sun this week.


Week of January 18 - January 24

January 18 (Monday) - AM: 5 miles easy.  Hobbling at first and just decided to run through the pain and see if it loosened up.  At 3 miles, it actually did.  Last 2 miles were actually ok.  PM:  5 miles a little quicker than I wanted.  Got to the Mill late and forgot when they closed.  It was an hour earlier than I thought. Maybe it was for the best.  Only was able to fit in 5 more before they turned the lights off.  Really hobbling for first couple miles.
January 19 (Tuesday) - AM: 5 miles easy.  PM: 8 miles. Achilles slightly better but still sore.  Calf super sore. What's else is new... Put off the workout until later in the week.
January 20 (Wednesday) - PM: 8 miles. Everything sore. I feel like I'm turning to stone.
January 21 (Thursday) - AM: 5 miles easy. PM: 10 miles workout.  5 x 1000 @ 5 min pace with 1:20-1:30 rest continuous between each.  Split 16:50 for the 5k and 21:50 exactly for 4 miles.  Solid workout and I felt surprisingly fine physically.  Then 3 mile cooldown.  68:20 for the 10 miles including rest and warmup/cooldown.
January 22 (Friday) - AM: 5 miles easy.  PM: 9 miles slightly up tempo.
January 23 (Saturday) - PM: 5 miles easy.
January 24 (Sunday) - AM: 7 miles as: 2 mile warmup (roads/snowshoes) + 5k race (Six03 Frigid 5k Snowshoe Race - 1st OA) + 2 mile cooldown on the road.

Weekly Summary: 72 miles for the week.

Wow I felt like trash the first half of the week.  I barely made it through but turned the corner on Thursday and then back to bad again on Sunday.  The Achilles was bad at first, loosened up, and then by week's end it was bad again as was my shin and calf.  It was a mixed bag of what hurts now.  I did manage to squeak a good workout in but went too hard the day after, which led to the harsh weekend.  I hobbled on Saturday but it was the day before the snowshoe race down in Barrington, NH so it wasn't that big of a deal.  But the race beat me up a bit and made things worse. I had lingering issues during the race and certainly now am dealing with them after.  I'll do a quick writeup of this one as a separate race recap post.

Unfortunately the GSSS race on Saturday (Moose Mountain) was cancelled even though certainly there was enough snow to run on.  There was a fat bike race that was added to the event couldn't be held because of too much ice under the snow or some thing, so they had to postpone both to Feb 6.  Now the race has to be held the day before Horsehill, which is part of the ATR series.  A lot of fast guys are going to be showing up to Horsehill just for the ATR series and now I have to make a decision to stay home and miss a GSSS race on Saturday, just to have a better shot at running with some quicker guys on Sunday, or go to both and be spent on Sunday and get my doors blown off even more than I would already.  Not ideal but it is what it is.