Monday, May 11, 2015

Off

Stress Reaction.  That's the diagnosis.  The precursor to a stress fracture...  In my left tibia.  About 1/3 the way down from the knee.  I knew something was serious pretty much during my run last Sunday in the mountains but ignored it all week (in true CMS fashion).  Every day was one step closer to disaster.  Finally on Saturday I had enough.  Good thing I went in today and had an x-ray and talked to the doctor.   The visuals on the x-ray were pretty telling.  I need to take some days and see how it feels.  It could be days. It could be weeks.  It sucks.  I may have to bag a bunch of things I have been looking forward to for literally months.  All because of a bad decision to jump around on a trampoline at a cookout.  What a nightmare.  Right now it's ice, anti-inflammatories, and worst of all, rest.  Nothing else I can do.  Nothing impacting.  Not even biking is suggested.  Swimming is out of the question because I'd rather just not do anything than swim... so there it is.  I lose out on fitness, all the work I've put in, planned (and paid for) races, confidence, etc.  It's a good thing I realize there's a lot more to life than running... my daughters smiles immediately reminds me of that.


4 comments:

  1. Being injured sucks. There's no two ways about it. From a readers perspective, I think you likely had the stress reaction before you got on the trampoline. Remember you had a series of closely spaced races at near PR levels just before. It's human to blame it on one thing but an injury like that doesn't happen because of one thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Funny thing is that I've always been able to race every weekend and didn't even have as much as a twinge before that race or even after (immediately after). I get on that trampoline and I felt some tingles as time went on... it definitely didn't help matters any that I did that for maybe close to an hour total. The next day the nightmare began. My only hope is that it won't take too too long to heal to the point where I can start back again. I'm guessing I was teetering on the edge and that put me over...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the injury. I hope you have a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, sorry about the reaction. Congrats on some strong races during the road comeback. Enjoy the extra time with your beautiful family while you get better!

    ReplyDelete