Monday, December 15, 2014

December 15 (Monday)

December 15 (Monday) - 6 miles at lunch on E.Madison Rd. (up and down).  Then another 8 miles (easy) at the Mill on the mill.  14 miles total.

Not that I haven't had my fair share of cross country chatter on the interwebs over the past 2 days (just kidding, yes I have), but now we see the USATF-NE GP for 2015 announced.  My thoughts on the schedule and races that were chosen below:

Feb 22, Five College Realtors 10 miler, Amherst, MA
Mar 15, New Bedford Half Marathon, New Bedford, MA
May 24, People’s United Bank Vermont City Marathon, Burlington, VT
Jun 11, Hollis Fast 5km, Hollis, NH
Aug 9, Bobby Doyle 5 mile, Narragansett, RI
Sep 6, Seasons 20 km, Acton, MA
Sep 20, Lone Gull 10 km, Gloucester, MA

Sad not to see any of Millenium's races chosen...but I was kind of nervous with Ribfest being the day after Mt. Washington.  The other ones would have been good though.

I am just not a fan of a 10 mile road race during snowshoe season ...especially when the course has dirt roads which are obviously nice and snowy and icy during the month of February.  I have run DH Jones a couple times (maybe more) and am just never in shape in February for a road 10 miler and it hasn't been that enjoyable.  One of the best stories I have ever heard was from Nate Huppe and his experience at DH Jones some years ago...if you are friends with him on Facebook, ask him to tell you the story...

I am not a huge fan of the New Bedford course.  It's a fair course but I just don't enjoy running in the area all that much. It's a top notch event, don't get me wrong, but it's in the series every single year.  My 1/2 marathon PR is there so I can't totally knock it, but I'm just not a fan of driving that far to run around the city of New Bedford.  No offense to anyone from New Bedford.

I basically voted the way I voted to get VT City Marathon to be the GP marathon. Now lets see if I actually run it.

Hollis... I've run this once before. I haven't done it since because it always seems to be right before Mt. Washington.  Now it's a week before.  So I'm ok with this one.

Bobby Doyle.  I know nothing about it...but it 'sounds' like a pub series race.  It's like a combination of Bobby Bell and Doyles.  Mike Quintal loves that stuff and should be all over this.  It's in RI so that may be a little out of my wheelhouse, but I'm ok with it.  It gives the RI folks a local race again and it's nice to see some new races in the series.

Seasons 20k...I'm still not sure if it's even a 20k.  I just recently found the website online and it's showing it as a half marathon...maybe that's last year's data?  I don't know much about it, but it seems like a good thing to have a longer race in the series for a wildcard.  Like the Nahant race last year.  Look out for the online poll (like with the marathon) from the 5kers complaining about the race being too long....  I like Mark Coddaire so I am ok with this race....

Lastly, Lone Gull 10k...I ran this once and had a disastrous race.  I wasn't feeling good and ran a very slow race.  It 'could' have been the last time I ever physically saw Casey Moulton though, so that holds a special place in my heart.  I haven't gone back because ...well...I just haven't.

I'm not sure if I will go to any of these races, but we'll see....  It's interesting that September 20th will be the end of the series entirely.  No Oct/Nov races.

That's all I got.


1 comment:

  1. Wait, "I'm not sure if I will go to any of these races"?

    I thought you, Ferenc, Kevin, Greg Hammett, the Scotts (Leslie and McGrath) and a dozen other NE studs were going to join me for an OT qualifier attempt at VCM!

    But seriously, 2:25 at least?

    And Hollis is right there in your backyard (kind of) and is a (somewhat less than) perfect Mt. Washington tuneup!

    ReplyDelete