Thursday, July 3, 2014

July 3 (Thursday)

July 3 (Thursday) - Lost the hearing in my left ear since Wed. night. Woke up in the middle of the night and was completely deaf.  It didn't feel like there was any water in my ear, but it was a possibility because I had done a couple of dives off the raft at Silver Lake on Wed. afternoon.  I have had water in my ear plenty of times, but this was different.  I tried repeatedly to get any water to drain. I used hydrogen peroxide extensively but it didn't help.  I tried every home remedy on the internet.  When I woke up on Thursday I was a mess. I had a headache and felt like crap all day.  I had to lay down a couple times during the day.  I was able to mow the lawn (figuring walking around might help) but it was no different after I was done.  Late in the afternoon (6:15ish), I decided that I still needed to try to run.  I hit up a flat out and back (relatively flat) down 113 and 41.  I felt pretty good despite the absolutely annoying fact that I could only hear out of my right ear.  My left was completely blocked.  It was balls hot outside as well, but by 6:15ish it had probably cooled down a few degrees and it was probably the best time to get out.  I ran 64:49 for the 10 miles (not that I'm one of those completely obsessed with pace on training runs), which was good for me and I felt pretty decent.  By late in the evening my ear started to clear up. I had gone to the store and bought a couple of 'tools' to try to get out possible packed earwax and water but even after making sure my ear canals were squeaky clean, it was completely blocked (almost like my nasal passages get during allergy season).  I could unblock it briefly by yawning, chewing, or squeezing my nose and popping my ears, but it would close back up again. I think I have some sort of infection.  By bedtime, it got slightly better and I regained about half of my hearing in my left ear.  Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment