Wednesday, May 21, 2014

May 21 (Wednesday)

May 21 (Wednesday) - D.Brown picked me up on the way to the track at Kennett H.S.  We did 2 miles in the woods and then a lap on the track with some strides... then it was 3 x 1 mile.  I had zero plans with this.  I couldn't even decide on the pace I wanted to run.  Darin wanted 5:40s.  I figured I 'should' be faster but decided to run w/ Darin at least at first to see how my body reacted.  I haven't done a track workout in probably a couple years...maybe 1 in there somewhere, but it's been a while.  I also am about 10 lbs or so over where I used to be (maybe more) and also my training has been lackluster to say the least (although I'm not a complete slob).  We started together and I told him I'd go for 40-42 per 200.  I hit the first 200 in 37 or so and felt fine.  Hamstring was really really tight and borderline sore but I continued to try the workout.  76 through the first 400, which was too fast. I backed off but not by much.  I ended up cruising through the first mile very easy in 5:17.  Darin was about 15 seconds back.  400 meter jog and then into the second one.  I went out on my own and ran 5:14 pretty even.  I felt completely within myself (as I should at that pace).  400 jog.  Darin needed more rest so I was off completely alone on the 3rd one at the start.  5:08 for the last mile with no problems.  Hamstring was tight but it was very easy otherwise.  Definitely feeling good mentally after this.  It makes me think I can handle a couple more at that pace or drop it down to near 5 minutes for a harder workout without too much issue.  Either way it was great to just see what 5-low felt like.  A lap jog in between each + a lap at the end and then 2 more miles in the woods for 8 miles total.

6 comments:

  1. Encouraging workout, JJ!

    I hope some day you'll take a little praise for all your running achievements; you're sickeningly humble about your abilities.

    It is quite a contrast to go from reading the last hero's blog to yours. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate both your perspectives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha..thanks man.. i'm trying to build up... i can't jump back into it and be in beast-mode right away like you can! :). I'm OLD now! ...We'll see how the rest of the summer pans out...maybe I'll be ready for something serious in the fall... great to see you back into it as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're old I hate to think what that makes me; 38 in August! I just have to keep myself from thinking I'm already a master. If I try a fall marathon, I might go for Hartford - Scott Leslie made it sound pretty good when I saw him in New Bedford. Manchester sounds rough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I knew there was a reason I loved seeing you run the times you do...you are OLDER than me! ;). I have Manchester on the schedule but I'm flexible....I could alter plans....we'll see. Scott has really come into great form over the last few years.... I remember finishing Baystate right behind Andy and having Scott right there behind me in 2010...unreal feeling to Average 2:27:xx for the three of us and win the GP Marathon team.... We'll see what happens w/ my training this year...Feeling like there could be some light at the end of this dark tunnel :)....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you liked seeing me run those times because I'm 20 pounds heavier than you even when you're 10 pounds over race weight!

    I remember being amazed at the 2010 Baystate performances of all 3 of you. It would be great to get Andy back this summer/fall. Maybe I could run a PR at Hartford and then come back and slog through Manchester for the team. It's a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha...You know when I did Manchester (the only time) I was injured, hadn't been training, and had run Cape Cod 6 days earlier :). Those were the days! :). I believe you won that day if I'm not mistaken ;).

    ReplyDelete