Saturday, March 29, 2014

March 29 (Saturday)

March 29 (Saturday) - Met up with Kevin Tilton and Peter Haine in the parking lot of UNH Trail / Downes Brook Trail off the Kanc.   I'd already done this loop before with Kevin in April of 2012.  I've done most of the trails in this section already (my heaviest travelled section of the AMC guide for sure) but it was great to get out again and get some climbing in (and some fun descending) on the snowshoes.

The plan was to do the 5 mile loop up to Al Bernier's ledge and then East Ledges and up and over Hedgehog Mtn. and back down.  A pretty tame, short loop, but it's got some good views of Passaconaway and the surrounding area.  The weather was also amazing (nice and warm) but that made the footing pretty soft.  We were constantly crashing through and wiping out (even on the snowshoes).  I had 70 minutes for the 5 miles (stopping the watch).  I think Kevin had about 90 minutes including the stops, on his watch.  It's a great loop for something short and moderately challenging.  Photos below by KT. Video with my GoPro.

Pete and I with Passaconaway in the distance...

Trying to stay on my feet...

Rollin' across the top...

'Stepping in Pete's hole'...

Kevin and I (I outweigh him by 30 lbs now I think)...

Pete and I on the way up...

Rolling across the top ledges...

Pete and I heading down...

Pete on the ascent...


The Ascent:


The Descent: (Good wipeouts at 1:15, 3:45, 6:35, 8:00, 11:05, 12:15, and some others spread out through...)

No comments: