Saturday, January 18, 2014

January 18 (Saturday) - Whitaker Woods Snowshoe Race

Running up the down escalator - courtesy of Dave Dunham.  Mount Washington should look awesome in the background but the camera didn't pick it up due to the lighting.


January 18 (Saturday) -  3.75 miles (3.5 w/up + strides and staying loose) over the Whitaker Woods Snowshoe course with Dave Dunham (on microspikes).  Then 3.5 mile snowshoe race.  Whitaker Woods Snowshoe Scramble (results pending) - North Conway, NH. Race #1 of the Granite State Snowshoe Series.  2nd OA behind a strong performance by Nick Wheeler (BAA).  The course was super fast.  Mostly all ice and packed/groomed ski trail and rock solid single track.  Very quick.  Whitaker has got a couple of hills, the majority of which happen during mile 2.  This year's race was 3.5 miles (so a little shorter than previous years).  I was never in contention for the win.  Nick ran hard early and I ran about how I've been running snowshoe races for a while now.  Looking at my splits I don't think I could have done much better if I was 100% back.  If Nick wasn't there and didn't hand me one of my worst 'non-Nationals' ass-kicking I've ever had in a snowshoe race, I would have probably thought I ran strong...so I'm looking at this as a good race for me (especially lately).  Tough not winning after being 1st at Whitaker for the previous 3 years.  Nick is just far far quicker than I am and it showed today.  He's a lot stronger too as his marathon PR is a lot faster than mine.  Perfect storm for a good snowshoer.  I hope he decides to give Nationals a go in March.  Did a 3.1 mile cooldown with Nick over the streets near the base of Cranmore.   10.3 miles total.   All in all it was a good day.  It felt good getting a snowshoe race done finally.  It also was good catching up on some of the usual folks I haven't seen in a while.

Race Splits:  6:43 / 7:01 / 6:24 / 3:07 (last .5)

The start...already losing to Nick.




No comments:

Post a Comment