Wednesday, January 1, 2014

January 1 (Wednesday)

January 1 (Wednesday) - We'll see how long I keep up the 'post-a-day' thing on here...


This was my last day of my winter vacation.  Every year I am off from just before Christmas (we don't work on Christmas Eve) through the work day after New Years day.  This year we were fortunate to have Christmas on a Wednesday...which meant that Christmas Eve was obviously on Tuesday (which we normally have off)...so they gave us the Monday as well (Dec. 23).  I got zero accomplished in the way of 'epic' runs or anything of note 'running-wise' during this time...nor did get anything of mention done around the house.  I didn't really peak bag or redline or do any extensive snowshoe run of any kind.  I mainly stuck to the house (as it was bone chilling cold out the entire time) and kept my girls company.  There was far too much snow around to do anything outside in the way of work.  We did have an awesome first birthday party for my daughter Tabby at the start of the vacation (her birthday is on 12/23).  My entire family was up for the first time all at once for the day.  Then we travelled down to  Kristin's parents in Pembroke, MA for Christmas day.  That made for a long day for us.  The rest of the vacation was basically entertaining the baby and staying warm.  Right at the end of the vacation I managed to push a little too long on the treadmill and aggravate my right hamstring.  That led to the first few days of this year being definitely down days.  I have been stretching, icing, massaging, etc. I have been using some prescription anti-inflammatory, and keeping it compressed.  It's still tweaked for anything over a few miles so I'm watching it and giving it the rest it needs.

I managed to get over to The Mill for a very easy 5 miles in 40 min on the mill, watching my hammy the entire way.  It wasn't bad and I managed it without any issues so I used caution and got off before something happened.  I walked for a bit as a cooldown and then did some lifting.

Tabby destroying her birthday cupcake


Tabby destroying her birthday cupcake

4 comments:

  1. Let me know when you start digging the moat for that daughter of yours. I think you will need it.

    And at the risk of over analyzing the pic, did those stockings actually stay there above that fire?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...i had to read that a couple times to figure out what you were talking about ;). Work on that project has already begun ;).

    Yes, the stockings hung throughout all the fires...closely watched the first couple times and they get 'warm' but that's about it.... thanks for your concern however :). Please feel free to continue to scrutinize and evaluate photos I post. It could end up helping me out one of these days :)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, she is a friggin cutie. I should be running some of the mountain series and look to make a weekend out of it at your house. Cool with you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks man. You are welcome to come up whenever...even for some normal mountain/trail runs or longer hilly runs around here...let me know! I can't wait for the spring/summer at this point!!!

    ReplyDelete