Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Another Training Update and Trying to Catch Up

On top of Mt. Pierce (4,310 ft) in Beans Purchase, NH w/ Kristina and Ryan on MAY 26th...Yes, MAY 26th.


Training Week: 5-20 - 5-26

Had to make the tough decision to forego the Redhook 5k for the first time since I started running again back 6+ years ago. I have done that race every year since 2007. But with the foot bothering me, Wachusett on Saturday (the day before), and lackluster training that would not benefit me for a 5k, I decided to just run Wachusett, then spend some family time on Sunday w/ my girls (after the morning mountain run of course). Had some Garmin issues this week so things are a little off, but good to see my climbing up to over 6000 ft this week on 6 days. I was able to salvage data but it screwed up and shortchanged me on a couple runs this week including the Pierce run...  Still maintaining over an hour per day average of running so that's good... Will try to keep better track of things from now on....maybe back to a day by day...who knows...

50.7 miles

Running days: 6
Rest days: 1
Races: 1
Total running time: 6:59:10
Elevation Gain: 6100 ft


5-26 - Sunday: 7 miles - (mountain) Carroll, Beans Purchase, NH.  Garmin data got messed up.  Garmin has been screwed up all week.  Met Ryan and Kristina at the AMC Highland Center in Crawford Notch and up we went on the Crawford Path to Pierce and then down the cutoff to Mizpah Hut and then down to the Crawford Path again. Strange seeing the hut full of people when it was snowed in.  Half a foot or more of snow on the trail and in the woods with more falling as we were running up. Very cold and windy at the summit. Incredible for May 26th (Memorial Day weekend)!.
5-25 - Saturday: 12 miles - Westminster, Princeton, MA.  Wachusett Mountain Race (results) - 4th OA.  (race data).  Warmup + Race + cooldown.  Horrible climb, decent descent.  Not a bad effort all things considered.
5-24 - Friday: 8.1 miles.  (data) - North Conway, Albany, Hales Location - Thompson Falls loop with Don from Westside Rd.  Nice trails back in the Mineral Site area.  Good run.
5-23 - Thursday: 10.6 miles (data) - North Conway, Albany - Mineral Site run (solo).  Digestive distress late in the game, but good trail run. Set of 10 strides afterwards.
5-22 - Wednesday: Off (I think...can't remember and Garmin is messed up)
5-21 - Tuesday: 6.6 miles (data) - Madison, Conway, NH.  From Ward Parcel.  Wanted to check out some new short trails in Madison at one of the areas of town I've never been in.  KT met me over there near Tasker Hill and we explored the conservation land before wandering around some of the other trails near Eidelweiss and the surrounding areas.  Rainy and dreary day.
5-20 - Monday: 6.4 miles.  North Conway, NH (data) from Walmart. Messed up Garmin data.  Short by a mile or so.  Ran into a big black bear to the northwest of the High School.  First couple miles solo and then the rest w/ KT on single track mountain bike trail around the school.

Video from our Memorial Day run up to Pierce.  It definitely was a memorable run... I love the White Mountains.


Tabby hates Daddy's injured left foot!


Training Week: 5-13 - 5-19


Better.  I'm not a complete slob, but it's getting better than it was.  Even on my low weeks mileage-wise I'm still getting an hour or so a day in (because of varying terrain and climbing).  So that's not too bad.  Time on my feet I guess...I still did get over 5000 ft of climbing on 6 days of 'easy' running... Seems like if I stick to roads and flatter trails I'm ok.  Roads seem to be no problem.  Off camber running is killing my foot right now.  I've been running with some added cushion and inserts (and bulkier trainers even on trails).  Seems to be helping.  Also been icing, stretching, massage, all the usual stuff.  Starting to think about bailing on some racing and just getting healthy and making a push towards some stuff later in the year.  I may still hit up some usual stuff locally but will not go bat sh*t crazy and try to drive hours to races when I'm not 100%.  The great thing I have going right now is just about everything else.  Family, home, and work are really going along great.  I have got a lot of projects going around here, some things on the way, and life as a Dad is completely taken over my focus.  It's the best thing that's ever happened to me and it makes being hurt not even seem remotely important in the grand scheme.  If I didn't have her, I'm not sure how I'd handle being hurt, missing racing, etc.  Really the only things that I did in my time other than work...now it doesn't even matter...I run when I can and the rest of the time I'm not even thinking about it. For the Dads out there that can relate, you know what I'm talking about.  It's a wonderful thing and I'm just a little down sometimes that I didn't have kids earlier in life...but I try not to dwell on that.  I just can't wait until she is old enough to do some kid races!  Maybe by that time Mt. Washington will have a mini kids race up to like the 1/4 mile mark or something :).

50.4 miles

Running days: 6
Rest days: 1
Races: 0
Total running time: 6:26:46
Elevation Gain: 5369 ft


5-19 - Sunday: 8 miles - (data) - Madison, NH (solo) - Out and back up and down E.Madison Rd. towards Conway.  Squeezed this run in before Chris and Heather Searles-Mahoney dropped in for a day visit.
5-18 - Saturday: 8.6 miles - (data) - Madison, Freedom, NH (solo) - From King Pine at the end of E.Madison Rd.  Up nordic/snowmobile trails and up up up and around the snowmobile trails on the backside of Mary's Mountain and back up Goe Hill and down E.Madison again.  Foot was tolerable.
5-17 - Friday: 7 miles.  (data) - Madison, Freedom, NH (solo) - Late jump out of a long day at work.  Got a work call halfway up the climb near Mary's Mountain and stopped for 10 minutes to talk (was carrying my work phone).  Did a loop down the access rd. to Shawtown Rd. and then back up the trails  and down snowmobile trails back to Lead Mine/Black Brook. Foot felt ok but was junk if I pushed off.
5-16 - Thursday: 10.6 miles (data) - Madison, NH. Solo Lake Bang.  Foot felt ok because I kept it relatively easy and no climbing...
5-15 - Wednesday: Off 
5-14 - Tuesday: 7.5 miles (data) - North Conway/Intervale, NH.  Black Cap Run Up - solo.  From water tower off of Hurricane Mt. Rd.  Up to summit and then down on Red Tail Trail.
5-13 - Monday: 8.7 miles.  Madison, Freedom, NH.  (data) - Trout Pond and Pine Barrens loop w/ KT. Snowmobile trails off of Lead Mine / Black Brook Rd. out through airstrip and back around to Lead Mine through Pine Barrens.  Foot hanging on...

Black Cap Summit - Looking North towards Washington



Training Week: 5-06 - 5-12

Week of attempted recovery from foot issue again.  After limping through Sleepy Hollow I took a few days on and off to try to rest the obviously sprained / strained / upset left foot.

27 miles

Running days: 4
Rest days: 3
Races: 0
Injuries: 1
Total running time: 4:01:38
Elevation Gain: 1500 ft


5-12 - Sunday: 8.1 miles - (data) w/ KT.  At Rob Brook off Bear Notch Rd.  Loop up through Upper Nano trails.  Dropped my cell phone off a bog bridge.  Ran additional mile before I realized.  Kevin and I backtracked and KT spotted it off the bridge in some weeds.  Lucky I brought my white phone!
5-11 - Saturday: Off .
5-10 - Friday: 5.1 miles.  (data) w/ KT.  Trails from Walmart in NoCo.  Out past Pudding Pond.  Single track and snowmobile trail.  Just trying to keep foot in check.
5-09 - Thursday: 7.6 miles.  DD style with 3 runs...but my 3 runs were all within the same hour of time.  I just wanted to stay flat and easy but off road so I shot down the Kanc and explored 3 different forest roads I've never been down.  Only one of them had any real distance to it.  Good times.  Still some snowbanks on the side of the Kanc.  (data) and (data) and (data).  Foot junk.  Watch was off for about 1/4 of a mile on the way down the first run...
5-08 - Wednesday: Off.  Foot no good.  Just need to heal up. Did a short hike up to Cascades.
5-07 - Tuesday: 6.1 miles   North Conway, NH.  From Whitaker Woods. First mile solo then w/crew on a couple bangs of Whitaker. I didn't take notes so I can't remember who was there but I think it was Roger, Darin Brown, Don F, and a few others.  (data) and (data)
5-06 - Monday: Off.  Foot was a disaster after the weekend of forced climbing and racing on a sprain or strain or whatever it is....

More horrible views from Rob Brook


No comments:

Post a Comment