Sunday, March 17, 2013

Training Week: 3-11 - 3-17

Weekly Wrap Up:  52.8 miles on 5 days (yes two rest days as my legs are a horrorshow). 1 very good kickstart race (my 2nd worse NB ever but it's a step in the right direction...nothing but positives from this race).  I started some wheels in motion for some improvement on the leg situation (more on that later) and my training starts NOW.  My serious training.  Not 200 mile per week training, but regular normal serious training like the old days.  Back to basics.  No more 40-50 miles per week, winter type stuff.  This is springtime now (regardless of the foot of snow we are going to get over the next 36 hours).  Time to get organized.  Good times today at NB though...good catching up w/ some good guys and seeing the usual suspects out there all doing what we all love to do...

03-17-13 - Sunday: 19.6 miles (roads) - 5 mile w/ up w/ BAA crew (Ian Nurse, Dave Bedoya, Ryan McCalmon and a couple others.  Forgot to start my watch until about a half mile in.  Warmup was too long by my standards (5 miles) and it was fast (7:08 pace with us JOGGING the last quarter mile to the cars)... + Race: New Bedford Half Marathon - 1:13:08 (5:35 pace).  Ran within myself and didn't get hurt.  Big plus.  Race report to come. + cooldown (barely) w/ Goup, KG, and Boss Hammett.  1.5 miles of slow painful death on the beautiful side streets of New Bedford's equivalent of Lowell's 'Acre' neighborhood.

The cooldown...


The race...


The warmup...


03-16-13 - Saturday: Off - See below... I did do some 'legwork' on some things that will make me better.  Spent the day doing some shopping and talking w/ folks about what I need to be doing.  Productive day, related to body work...but no running except a couple of jogs across parking lots.

03-15-13 - Friday: Off - Legs completely trashed from yesterday's run.  Feels like I have a horrendous shinsplit.  Figure I can't possibly get any more quality work in before NB.  So a couple days here won't matter.

03-14-13 - Thursday: 11.8 miles (dirt roads/paved roads) 
- With KT (yes, KT is back at it) from East Madison (King Pine).  We did the 'Madison to Maine n' Back' run.  Up Horseleg Hill Rd / Towle Hill Rd/ Cold Brook Rd / Rice Hill Rd to the Maine border.  Since just about every road has a 'hill' in the title, you can imagine how hilly this run is. 1800+ ft. of elevation gain.  We took it 'easy' and still banged 7:37 pace (because of some of the downs) for the whole run. I bet in the summer we can hit under 7s for a tempo effort on this.  But seriously this run is pretty legit.  The effort was easy on the legs but still a decent beating on the lungs. Wind was bad on the way back and it got COLD. Towns run: Madison, Eaton, Freedom, Porter.  Climbing back up the ladder of 'fitness' but still need to figure out why my legs feel like they are turning to stone slowly...




03-13-13 - Wednesday: 5.3 miles (roads, snowmobile trails, single track) - This run was a mess.  Headed out solo from my house, down E. Madison Rd. to the snowmobile trails and headed over to 113. The trails closed on Monday for good.  The snow is too rotten and too many bare spots.  I fell FIVE times on my face.  Punching through rotten snow and through voids with streams running underneath. It was dangerous as hell.  I eventually came out onto 113 and went up behind the town hall to check out the small Ward Parcel trails. NO ONE has been in there all winter except maybe 1 guy and his dog.  The snow was horrendous.  Wet and dangerous.  I was all over the place in there.  Just a wash of a day.  But I wanted to just take it easy and recover so wandering around near my house and hitting some very slow trails was about right.





03-12-13 - Tuesday: 11.5 miles (dirt/icy roads/deep snow/paved roads/mud) - solo.  Tamworth, NH.  From Chocorua Lake Rd. parking lot off 16. Did the 'C-Lake Bang' in pouring rain.  Dirt road was ok for a bit, then it got icy through the section that isn't maintained in the winter.  I slipped a couple times and almost went down.  Rocked on the rest of the dirt road sections but it was very muddy and soft.  The 6th mile was completely snowed in. Not even snowmobile tracks to run on.  It was between ankle and knee deep and very wet.  After that mile I was able to roll again.  One solid road mile late and back onto sloppy icy dirt roads near the Brass Heart Inn.  Felt good.  Really crummy day out but needed to get out and get a solid road run in to get some sort of idea what to expect on Sunday.  I just don't want to completely be surprised when I step on the line at New Bedford.  I have an idea know that I can get through the distance...just probably not very fast... I was pleased with the effort today though, considering the elevation gain and conditions of the roads and weather (and a near 8 minute mile through deep snow)...still averaged a good clip.  On a flatter, paved course I would have been rollin' pretty good.  Progress is being made.  Maybe by June I'll be in shape.




03-11-13 - Monday: 4.6 miles (snowshoe) - with Kevin.  From Diana's Baths (Conway/Bartlett).  The plan was to head up North Moat and do a 10+ loop with some killer elevation.  That was scrapped before we even headed out after I locked my keys in my car immediately after getting there.  Then we just decided to go anyways and deal with the car after.  But we decided that since Kevin would have to drive me all the way home and then back with the spare key, that we would not go for the 2 hours it would have taken.  So we just decided to snowshoe for a bit up the Moat Mtn. Trail.  We only went about 2.3 up and then turned and headed back. I think neither one of us was feeling it at that point.  Nice easy day (with 500+ feet of elevation gain mostly just in the first 2.3 miles).


No comments: