Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Training 02-20 - 02-26

Weekly Wrap Up: 53.8 miles on 5 days.  One near death experience on the high NH peaks (but fun) and one race that was a test and a wake up call.  This will be it for running for a while. Will bike and will be backing out of all races until probably trails and mountain series and Washington (IF I am OK by then).


2-26 - Sunday: 13 miles (roads). Amherst, MA.  3 mile w/up (2 with some CMS guys and then 1 with strides and other loosening (or trying) up.  Then 10 mile race.  56 high or so.  Not a disaster of a race considering how banged up I am but enough to tell me that I'm done for a while.  I need to stop running, go to the doctor, and heal.  It means dropping out of Boston, New Bedford, and probably all of March and April but it has to be done.  I will miss 3/4 of a year if I can salvage getting back by May. It sucks, but I'm seriously injured.  My fitness is good.  I wasn't even breathing running near 57 minutes.  It was almost comical how easy 5:30-5:50 felt up and down those hills, cardio-wise.  Never once did my heart rate climb to anything remotely close to me being taxed.  My calf on the other hand was horrendous.  It was painful, tight, and just plain unmanageable.  I am quite frankly shocked I broke 57 minutes or even an hour. I thought for sure I'd be walking by 6 miles.  This is it for me for a while unfortunately.  But coming in 60-something place or whatever it was is just not going to be a habit with me. I'd rather not be running and just see if I can fix this rather than just keep running on it hurt and never be able to race again.

2-25 - Saturday: Off. Up in Madison and then over to Center Harbor all day.  Was out at 7:30am and not back until 7:30pm. Lots of walking around the new property and about a 2+ mile hike up to the Cascades via the well house and then back.  Calf hurt just walking.  Trying to salvage DH Jones.

2-24 - Friday: 6 miles (snowy, icy roads).  Around and in between Ivanhoe and Great East in Wakefield, NH. Calf hurt the whole time.

2-23 - Thursday: 12.5 miles in two runs.  Lunchtime: 8.3 miles on roads around the house including some icy/snowy roads out and back into the house plus paved roads around the area (including the big loop up Perkins Hill) - [54:38]. After Work: 4.2 miles in two lake bangs (2/3rds icy and muddy roads - 1/3rd clear paved road) [29:52].

2-22 - Wednesday: 11.7 miles in two runs.  First just after lunch. 7.1 miles.  Was going to do 10 (out and back) but made the shorter loop and added on near the house after the calf got sore.  Didn't want to be 5 miles out and have to walk back.  Once I got back around the lake (where there is still a ton of ice on the road, but now a lot of mud too), it actually loosened up. By the end, I felt OK.  Iced and massage.  [47:53].  Then, later after work, w/ headlamp, went out for another 4.6 miles around the lake (2 bangs) plus a little extra. [33:44]. Calf felt 'OK'.

2-21 - Tuesday: Off.  Calf and hamstrings really sore.  Looking towards racing this weekend (or trying to anyways) I need to try to heal up as much as I can.  Lots of stretching, some lifting, and ice and massage.

2-20 - Monday: 10.6 miles (mountain, frozen tundra, hell, and back).  with Kevin Tilton - Crawford Path from near the Highland Center in Carroll, NH up to the summit of Mt. Pierce and then across to Eisenhower summit and then down the back side of that.  We ran into a bunch of people on Pierce and the visibility over to Eisenhower and Washington was amazing.  When we got up to Eisenhower, it started to get very windy and the blowing snow made it 'interesting' to say the least.  We started to make our way down over to Monroe but the wind and blowing snow got ridonkulous. Visibility went from great to near zero quick, and the snow and ice blowing into our faces was too much to bare.  My eye actually froze OPEN (no joke).  At that point, we had to turn back. On the way back, my other eye froze OPEN.  We had to hide behind cairns every once in a while because the wind was so bad on the way across (it was all exposed).  The trail became blown in with snow and we couldn't find the trail that cut around the summit of Eisenhower.  It was all packed in so we had to go back up and over the summit again and this time it was horrendous.   We we wearing our microspikes but we were underdressed for the weather for sure.  No goggles or heavy duty facemask was a mistake.  I got pretty nervous as we tried to make it back over to Pierce and then back down. We took refuge behind the summit cairn on top of Eisenhower as the wind and blowing snow became near unbearable.  We slid down the back side and down and up again to Pierce and by that time we ran into a few others who were going to start over to Eisenhower and they were all VERY impressed w/ us.  I think they thought we were nuts for sure.  They were dressed like they were going up Everest and Kevin and I were dressed like we were going to go running in Whitaker Woods.  Once we got back up on Pierce, we turned and looked to see that Eisenhower, Monroe, and Washington were all gone behind storm clouds, which means we would have been screwed if we kept going.  It's amazing how quickly weather rolls in up there. And how different the weather is from base to summit or just from one summit to the next. I didn't really respect it before. I do now.   My GoPro camera was ON the entire trip up there so when we got there it was basically dead, which sucks because it would have been the greatest disaster movie ever, if I had been able to capture what Kevin and I went through.  I did get very little footage w/ my iPhone and it was all BEFORE the weather got bad.  The beginning was great.  The end was scary and I wasn't about to try to take my phone out of my pack to film anything. I needed both hands to hold on for dear life.  10.6 miles. 3500 ft. of climbing. Most of the scramble across the top and high peaks were in packed and deep snow we would punch through on occasion.  The run was very slow indeed. [2:25:27].












7 comments:

Greg said...

Sounds scary. Glad you guys are ok. Beautiful pics.

pbazanchuk said...

Having had my share of mountain epics I couldn't help but think of this Jim Bridwell quote, " "It's good to be badass, but it's no good to be a dead badass. There's a fine line between badass and dumbass."

Anyway your post has me thinking about a run to the Bonds on Sunday (with a facemask and primaloft jacket stuffed in my pack of course) :)

MarkNH said...

Those pictures are sick! Glad to see you are enjoying the good life up North!

Justin said...

Nice pics and write up. Been there, done that. Scary shit!! Glad you guys made it out ok.

Mike Girouard said...

Great pictures.

Mountain Goat said...

Hey JJ,
Those pics are sweet and that run sounds crazy. It's a good story afterwards. Sorry to hear about the injury troubles. I've been there, so stay positive and try to enjoy some down time or different activity. Hopefully, I'll see you at Mt. Washington.

jb

Muddy Puddin' said...

Awesome.