Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Training 02-06 - 02-12

Weekly Wrap Up: 66.7 miles on all singles. If I wasn't lazy I could snowball the mileage into the 80s or higher w/ short shakeouts in the morning but I'm not quite there yet.  This is my highest week since September of last year and things are progressing I think. The calf was ok this week for a change... It feels great when I'm not running (like completely normal)...but on the uneven stuff or on pounding downhills it starts to suck.  I had a great solo road run on Saturday and an awesome run out of nowhere on Sunday, as I just wanted to wander and ended up stumbling upon a great vista of southern Carroll County. All the usual snowshoe races I've wanted to do have been cancelled or made into trail races, which has been perfect for me because it has meant I really haven't missed anything yet.  The one snowshoe race on the GSSS schedule so far has been a success for me and I hadn't planned on any WMAC races this year, but they've hardly had any anyways, so it's all good.  Didn't miss any days this week, which is also good.  Trying to find the positives...


02-12 - Sunday: 10 miles (snowmobile trails).  Brookfield, NH. Snowmobile trails from Moose Mountain Rec. Area north on Corridor 22 and then northwest on Corridor 26 up Tumble Down Dick Rd. and then up Tumble Down Dick Mountain.  It was cold as hell but the trails were awesome. Super packed snow meant essentially road-fast conditions (with the Orocs on of course).  I was just going to do a 30 min out and 30 min back but decided to just keep wandering.  I strayed a bit down Corridor 22 until it hit near 109 first, but then turned and headed up Corridor 26 towards the Wolfboro trails and eventually up to the 1150 or so feet to the top, where the views of Kingswood lake to the east and Rust Pond/Winnipesaukee to the west.  I spent some time at the top wandering around and then headed back down the icey/snowy trails.  Right before getting back to the parking lot of Moose Mountain, my phone died (I was taking some video along the way). Then, as I pulled up to the car just a few ticks shy of 80 minutes on the watch, I noticed that my shirt pocket was wide open.  That meant that somewhere out on the trails was my g*ddamn car key.  No key, no phone, and single digit windy temps meant I needed to head inside to ask to use the phone. It's a good thing I have become friendly w/ the owner (she is great) and have shown my face around.  It was also a good thing I timed it when I did, as they were about to close!  She let me use the phone and stay inside while I waited for Kristin to drive over my spare key.  While inside, I bumped into Max Thomas who is working there for the winter. I haven't seen Max since the good ole' days a couple yrs ago when he was a regular on the mountain circuit and in the local area road races.  Kristin finally showed up w/ the key and I made it out of there relatively unscathed.  A great, quiet, solitary run in some great trails was the perfect ending to an otherwise boring weekend.  I only saw two snowmobiles the entire time (a mother and young son about 8-10 years old, on the smallest snowmobile I've ever seen). [1:19:49]

02-11 - Saturday: 13.1 miles (icy roads/paved roads). E. Wakefield, NH, Newfield, ME, Acton ME.  Beautiful HILLY road loop through the back roads of western Maine and East Wakefield.  I have run most of this loop across various runs over the last couple years but never pieced it together.  Awesome rolling back country roads through farms and thick woods and along Balch Lake on both sides. Calf got a little quirky at 46 minutes exactly.  Stopped and stretched near some sweet looking snowmobile trails w/ perfectly groomed trails.  Would have loved to explore but the loop was already pushing too long considering my calf.  Stopped at near 1:11:00 to stretch again, as my calf started to go again w/ tightness and dull pain.  Was good the rest of the way.  Slowly but surely.  Baby steps. If I can keep squeezing in runs like this and my calf doesn't get any worse, I think I can slowly get back to being somewhat fit.  [1:29:54]. Maybe 3 cars passed me over the last 7+ miles and 1 of them was the same old timer (with Maine plates). He beeped and smiled and waved both times he drove past me. No clue who he was. I LOVE running up here.

02-10 - Friday: 10.6 miles (icy roads/paved roads). E. Wakefield, NH to Newfield, ME.  house out to Perkins Hill and then down into Woodman and up to Stevens Corner and into Newfield Maine.  Up the road a bit and turned around once I realized it was getting dark.  I totally spaced on the time of day but I did get a late start.  Turned and headed back up the way I came.  Most of the way back is uphill.  Calf felt good on the first half. Kept looking at my watch and the magical 50 minute mark...it came and went as I climbed on the way back and no issues.  I had the normal slight tightness but no tweaks or pain at all.  60 minutes came and went.  Then 70 minutes and I felt GREAT.  It was like a dream.  I finished up just as it was getting dark at 5:30! (which is awesome in itself).  Calf felt (and currently feels) fantastic.  The best it's felt on a run since I've been here.  [1:10:42]

02-09 - Thursday: 11 miles (icy roads/paved roads). E. Wakefield, NH. - house out to Acton Ridge then up Perkins Hill and around down to Canal Rd. then back up and back via the longer Dearborn Rd. /N.Shore Rd. loop.  First .6 and last 1.6 were with Yaktraks as the ice road I live on is treacherous without the Orocs or some sort of cleat on your shoes.  The rest was clean road.  Felt great for first 50 minutes.  Then around 51 min or so I had to make a pitstop with massive stomach problems, right at the top of Perkins Hill. Dipped into the woods there and took care of business.  Then back out onto the road I immediately started to get dull pain in the calf.  It was on and off the rest of the way back.  I call this a step in the right direction though, as it took 50 whole minutes of decent paced running before it started to hurt.  I pretty much tried to ignore it over the last  few miles. [1:14:20].

02-08 - Wednesday: 6 miles (snowy/icy roads/paved roads). E. Wakefield, NH. - house out to Wansor, down to N.Shore Dr. then back out and up Perkins Hill and the full loop down 153 and back on Acton Ridge Rd. and back.  Just wandering around.  Mostly on ice and snowy shoulder of the main road.  Coyotes howling on the way back.  Could hear them all the way across the lake when I got back. [45:00].  Calf 'OK'..a little sore and tight on the way back and that 'sensation' is just always there.  Feels like I have zero chance of getting up on my toes and running fast, which sucks.  But I can run 6 miles a day slow. Not sure when that will get old, but I'm sure it will.

02-07 - Tuesday: 10 miles (snowy/icy roads/paved roads). E. Wakefield, NH. - house out to Dearborn and up to Perkins Hill and out to Canal Rd. and then back. Calf started getting tight/sore 55 or so minutes in. [1:09:32]

02-06 - Monday: 6 miles (snowy roads/snowmobile trails).  E. Wakefield, NH. - house out to Acton Ridge and across the snowmobile trails up to Balch Lake and back.  Calf was brutal.  Had to stop and stretch in the middle.  Not a good run at all. Cut it short. [41:40].  Stretched and massaged the hell out of my calf all night.

3 comments:

  1. Skipped right to Friday? I wish I could do that! Ruins the weekly mileage though....does it help with recovery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! took me a minute to figure out what that meant! thanks. fixed it. man I guess this week has been just THAT bad so far :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, I may have just missed this, but have you been to a sports doctor or regular doctor for that matter? This has been going on since when early fall?
    Just wondering.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete