Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Training 10-17 - 10-23





Wrap Up: 52.3 miles in 6 days.  Pathetic, but my highest week in 5+ weeks.  Screwed dearly for the marathon, but it is what it is.  Looking to finish at this point and get another long run in.  If my calf holds up, I'll be absolutely shocked.  One decent race, but it wasn't without it's problems.  Fun to actually get back out there and finish a race for once though!

10-23 - Sunday: Off.  Feet were killing me when I woke up and calf was stiff and sore.

10-22 - Saturday: 14 miles (trails) - 2 mile w/up w/ a fit Scotty Mason over the trails in Pawtuckaway State Forest in Nottingham, NH then '11' mile trail/mountain race (which was at least 12 miles and had over 1700 ft. of elevation gain) - Vulcan Fury Trail Race - 1st OA of 118. [1:25:30].  Felt nice and smooth and very strong cardio-wise as I tempo'd most of it (because I was keeping a close watch on my calf).  Was never in the hurt box at all as I led almost the entire thing (after the first mile or so, where I had company).  Loads of single track and VERY wet and rocky. Boulder fields, lots of slick rock slabs, slick bridges, and leaf/pine needle covered trails and dirt roads.  The course had a sick climb up rock steps to the summit about halfway in.  Managed to run the entire thing surprisingly, but got lost 8 or 9 times where I had to stop and try to figure out where I was supposed to go.  I also had to stop to tie my shoes once, which came untied after going through a bunch of water early on in the race.  The last couple miles of the course was tough to follow because of the leaves everywhere on the ground, but the course was very well marked and a great event put on by the folks at Acidotic (as usual).  My calf was borderline bullsh*t after 3 miles.  I had my eye on it the entire time and backed way off for most of the hard ups and downs as it was twinging and hurting (down low near my achilles again).  It never went over the top though and by the end, I felt pretty good.  I was able to really hammer the flatter sections.  I could have gone longer, which is a good sign for my calf.  I think being on the roads next week is doable for the race...we'll see.  Good to get the monkey of no race finishes so far in October finally off my back!  Tim Cox (CMS) 2nd place.  Keith Schmitt 3rd.  Bagged Nottingham and Deerfield for the first times.  Good test of my calf and good confidence booster.  I actually felt like a runner today.

10-21 - Friday: 6.2 miles (roads) - Salem, Methuen (out and back) solo.  Hammered the last mile after starting out w/ the normal tempo.  [39:59].  Felt pretty good.  Some minor twinging but holding up.

10-20 - Thursday: 9 miles (roads and trails) - w/ University of Lowell Cross Country All American David Quintal.  Ran from Salem/Methuen line on 97 up to Crystal Gorge trails in Haverhill, MA.  Did some loops in there and ran back.  It was pretty wet in there and some of the lower parts were flooded.  Quintal tried to take a town line (key word is 'tried') and pushed the tempo up to a near race pace effort on the way back. I ran [1:03:04].  DQ was [1:03:34].

10-19 - Wednesday: 5 miles (roads) - w/ E-Bick in Salem, Methuen (out and back) in the pouring rain.  Both of us almost took a zero but decided to get a short, easy run in. [35:07]

10-18 - Tuesday: 10 miles (roads) - w/ Emery Bickford in Salem, Methuen, Haverhill - Spicket Hill / Scotland Hill loop from Emery's house. [1:10:00].  Calf was a little twingy at the end.  Later on (before bed), my right foot started to KILL.  Not sure if it's a foot cramp or what.  Watching this closely.  This is all I need now is another foot issue.

10-17 - Monday: 8.1 miles (roads) - solo out and back in Salem, Methuen, Haverhill.  [51:57].  Felt pretty strong.  Calf twinged a little bit but no real major problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment