Friday, October 28, 2011

Training 10-24 - 10-30

Wrap Up: 56.5 miles on 6 days including one come-back race that was more of a tempo effort, time-wise (race effort,  fitness wise) but a big step in the right direction for me.  I'm in a better place mentally about running today, than I was even on Saturday before Cape Cod.  I look forward to starting to train again, seriously.  This week I'll take it easy and then decide what I am going to point at.  I need to keep working on getting my strength and conditioning back...and also to be able to get my legs used to the pain and stress of racing and running fast!  Boy did they not remember quite what it was supposed to feel like on Sunday.  That was painful!

10-30 - Sunday: 27.2 miles (roads) - Falmouth, MA.  Light jogging to the start and some strides before the Cape Cod Marathon. Top Goal of this one was to finish.  Second goal was to try to stay within three CMS places of Greg Hammett to try to at least secure a tie at the top of the CMS internal GP standings.  Backup goal was to break 2:45 since I have been injured and essentially not running or training hard (or frequently) much at all in the past couple months.  I just wanted to toe the line and see what I could do on essentially no real training and not anywhere near even 75% physically, and I accomplished all those goals. I ran 2:42 something on basically a 5 mile hard effort initially, and then a solid 'going through the motions' for 21 miles.  I'll do a write up later on, but very happy with just finishing this race and running pretty even splits for most of the race (except for going crazy at the beginning like I always do).  No real bad issues other than just feeling horrible leg-wise.  I didn't blow up or really run into any major issues other than the typical marathon stuff.  I had an awful lot of pain and soreness in the legs, but I was expecting that after one of my longest stretches of downtime and light/easy training.  The calf wasn't any worse than it has been and I held up far better than I thought I was going to.  It gives me a ton of hope for the future now... a big pick-me-up and confidence booster for me for sure.

10-29 - Saturday: 30 min. spin on the bike.  Picked up a trainer so I can 'try' to get serious this winter about training and getting/staying fit.  It's all essentially about trying to get passed this weekend and then get to the gettin'.  Because of the race tomorrow, I just enjoyed a light spin while the snow started to fly outside... enough to get a good sweat going.  Watched the last 30 minutes of the Dirty Dozen which seems to be on some channel at least once every other day.  The marathon attempt tomorrow should be interesting.  The weather is interesting here....down near the Cape I think the snow will probably be a non-factor, but it will be far from dry or fast conditions.  I may still bring the Dion 121's just in case.

10-28 - Friday: 5 miles - Neighborhoods past the golf course in Salem, Methuen (solo). Headlamp run as I didn't get out the door until after dark.  Lonely, cold, dreary run... felt alright although I felt some twinging in my calf and hamstring even though I was just going easy.  I can't wait until Sunday. I hope the weather is absolutely horrendous. I need all the help I can get. [34:54]

10-27 - Thursday: 5 miles - Out and back in Salem, Methuen (solo). First run in the snow.  Another headlamp run in light rain/snow mix.  Wet and uneventful. Still just in taper mode (whatever that means). [35:49].

10-26 - Wednesday: 5 miles - Out and back in Salem, Methuen (solo).  Headlamp run.  Ipod died like 2 songs into the run.  Twisted my ankle 3 miles in and had to stop to tend to what I thought was a badly sprained ankle at first, but it was better in about a minute and hobbled back to the house from there.  Started to actually BONK near the house.  Not a good sign.  My running just sucks right now. [35:55]

10-25 - Tuesday: 8.1 miles - hilly 8 loop with E.Bick and DQ from the manor in Salem, NH.  Ran up Reservior Hill in Methuen, then up to Pie Hill, back down and around some neighborhoods before heading back to the manor.  [56:48].  Good run without much issues to speak of.  Took every town/state line of course.

10-24 - Monday: 6.2 miles - Out and back 10k run in Salem, Methuen (solo) on the roads. I guess let the taper begin? It's kinda useless but I'm doing it anyways. My feet/ankles/calves are junk. I'm not sure what's up but it seems like it is getting progressively harder to feel good while trying to train. I'm barely doing anything and feel beat up more than ever for some reason. [42:43]

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jim. You probably don't remember, but we met at snowshoe nationals in Cable last winter. I've been following your blog for quite some time now. I have always been amazed at how you can race week in and week out at a very high level as long as you have. Your worst races would win almost every race here in Northern Michigan! Lately though I have noticed your injuries, DNFs, lack of enthusiasim for running. It all sounds too familier. Although not as fast as you, I am also very competetive. It seemed I was always training for one race after another. Never letting my body reset itself, just kept hammering. It all finally caught up to me this summer. Trained my ass off to run a 5K PR. Ended up totally bombing a 17:30, then throwing up after. Tried again the next weekend. Same result, same vomit at the end! I finally said enough. I forced myself to take an entire week off of all running. Then slowly built back up from scratch on just easy miles.(7:10-7:30 pace for me)Spent about 5 weeks slowly adding on the end of each run, until I was doing about 60-65 per week. It made all the difference in the world. When I started my 12 week build for Indy Marathon, I felt fresh, strong, and excited to keep running more miles. Peaked at 80, but stayed between 70 and 80 for quite a while. Im now tapering for a marathon also, but I feel amazing. I know it is all due to the week off and the 5-8 weeks of base building. you have all the signs of over training/racing. So once you get through this Marathon, give your body some well deserved time off. Trust me, it will only make you stronger.
    Good luck in your up coming Marathon, start out conservative until your body tells you what it can handle, I like reading your race reports, and when you DNF I get nothing to read! Good luck Jim

    Kevin Tarras
    ktarras@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kevin, yah for sure. Thanks for reaching out. Thanks for the tips and for the kind words. I agree, I needed this downtime. I just need to get through this weekend and then I can start to ramp up and not have to worry about anything for a while. I just hope my calf holds up!!!

    You going to Frisco this coming year?

    ReplyDelete