Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Training 05-16 to 05-22

Wrap Up: 70 miles running for the week on just 6 days, with 1 day off and 1 day with 20 miles on the new road bike (with 1 minor crash).  1 good race at Northfield.   It's great to be back in the mountains.  I am now 3 race writeups behind.  D'oh!  I'm feeling pretty good right now.  No complaints.  Weather has been a bit crappy, but it's going to warm up this week.  27 days until the hill...

Sunday: 18 miles (trails).  Andover, MA.  1 mile solo on trails while waiting for Dan, then 4 miles in th river trail with Dan before DQ and DD joined us.  Then, river trail from hotel with DV, DD, DQ out across Forest Hill Wetlands and up to the radio towers and back down to the river trail again. Good solid run. [2:19:11].

Saturday: 13 miles (trails/mountain).  3+ miles w/up over last and first miles at Northfield Mountain with Patrick Ard + strides.  + Race: Northfield Mountain (10.3K) - 3rd OA - 36:53 + 3+ mile cooldown over last part of course w/ Patrick Ard.

Then hit the bike for 20 miles (10 out to my brothers in N.Andover from Salem, NH and back).  First time on my new road bike and first time being clipped into the pedals. I wiped out hard 1.5 miles from my house on the way out.  Came to a stop at rt. 110 intersection and couldn't clip out in time and went flying over the side of the island in the middle of the road.  Banged (and bruised) my knee.  But it's all good...continued on afterwards once I figured out how to get the bike off of me, unclip my twisted feet and legs from the pedals, and then clip back in once I got across the intersection.  Oh yeah, the roads around here STINK for cycling.

Friday: Off

Thursday: 10 miles (roads and rail trail). N.Salem, Derry roads and some of the Rockingham Rail Trail w/ Dave Quintal. [1:11:46]

Wednesday: 11 miles (roads). Haverhill - w/ Chris Mahoney and his Garmin.  From Cedarland aquatic center around Haverhill and along the Bradford course, past Bradford Ski Area, and back.  [1:14:46]

Tuesday: 12 miles (trails). Lawrence, Andover - river trail from the track.  Ran w/ Kevin Alliette who is back wh*ring for Whirlaway these days.  The rain held off but it was relatively cool and damp.  Good easy run, as my legs felt a bit better today.  We saw a nice deer running right in front of us on the trail for a bit and then she let us run past her as she just stood and watched.  We also saw a bunch of turkeys too... No, not Whirlaway runners, but actually wild turkeys. ;). [1:28:04]


Monday: 6 miles (trails). Mixed it up a bit as I was really still sore from the weekend of racing.  I wanted to take it real easy and do something different.  Ran over in the Windham Town Forest from trailhead off of Rt. 28.  Ran up the west side of Gordon Hill off of Gordon Mountain Rd, which is actually a higher spot at over 400 feet, than the summit of Gordon Hill, which is the high point in Salem.  400 feet doesn't sound like much, but it is good for this area.  There was a small building up on top with a 'high voltage' sign on it and a locked door.  There was a small radio antenna on the top, but nothing else.  I'm not sure exactly what it was.  I really like the trails in there.  They are mostly wide jeep road, with plenty of room to run, but it would need to be multiple loops to do any significant mileage in there.  I was the only one in there the whole time, but I attribute that to the weather.  I just mainly explored the area and tried to keep out of the rain.  It was raining pretty good but there is good cover in those trails. I never got to any of the areas that I ran over last time when I ran w/ DQ, so there is more exploring to do. [46:26]

1 comment:

  1. nice miles. i cant wait to go home so that i can run some trails again, city running is starting to get to me. :p
    http://beboldrunwild.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete