Friday, November 12, 2010

VT Run with the Keenyans

Not much to write about as far as running goes right now...This past weekend, on Sunday I headed over to Justin Fyffe's humble abode in E.Dummerston, VT.  I met up with him, 1/2 of the Pisgah Twins, and Josh Ferenc (CMS wanna-be who insists the BAA still wants him).  The plan was to run from Josh's house somewhere on the VT/NH border, south to Justin's all on trails (with the exception of the last 4-5 miles, which were a combination of dirt and paved roads).   The run was great for the most part, as we started from Josh's house and made our way across some ridges, up a couple of peaks, and over some pretty challenging terrain.  The first 20 minutes or so of the run was the toughest.  Josh lives at the base of this ungodly hill.  I wiped out about 3 minutes into the run (the first of many wipeouts on the day for me).  The climbing was impressive and I was getting left in the dust early. Greg Hammett was pushing the pace pretty good, Fyffe was simply jogging, and Ferenc was running erratically, pushing boulders down cliffs, eating Twinkies, and provoking some witches we came across in the woods.  It was a very interesting day for sure.  Somewhere near 19-20 miles my foot just simply blew up. I'm not sure what happened, but as soon as I started to feel pretty decent, my right foot felt like it just broke in half.  I couldn't put any weight on it and it just kept getting worse.  I was basically screaming expletives at the top of my lungs and the boys got a good laugh at my expense.  I limped out of there and tried one last time to salvage some sort of a running stride down the dirt road, but it wasn't to be.  Justin called his wife to come pick us up and she was there in no time.  She drove us the last 4 and a half miles or so back to their house where we watched some of the Pats game and then the NYC marathon coverage.  It was a great time other than the fact I may have developed a stress fracture or something ... I will need to schedule an appointment for this week to see someone about this before it gets worse (I can't imagine it getting any worse than it is though).  I took 3 straight 0's for this week (first time that has happened since February when I had my wisdom teeth pulled).  I managed 3 very slow miles yesterday and 5 regular miles today (in my fancy new road trainers from Inov-8...test models).  My foot felt like it was going to snap and I had all sorts of tightness in my achillies, ankle, and sides of my feet.  My plantar fascia is horrible, and the heel of my foot is essentially a push-button at this point for making me cry.  Not in a happy place right now, but I will have a nice weekend off from racing and try to enjoy myself.  I may head up to see Bob 'Don't Call it a Comeback' Wiles RIP IT UP in the half marathon this weekend...if I can't race, I might as well live vicariously through the 2010 NH Runner of the Year (even though he lives in Maine!).

For fans of this blog, here is some hot new viral video from this weekend (right before my running career ended).

I DO have some additional video of a rant by the infamous Mr. Josh Ferenc, and a funny story by Justin Fyffe, both circling around their USA singlets when they represented the US at the World Championships (Justin at the 50k and Josh in the Mountain race).  I am still at odds on whether to post this one as it needs to be VERY heavily edited as to not offend various folks involved that will immediately realize who he is talking about in his rant.  It also may prevent Josh from getting future work in the VT or NH school systems and possibly get him permanently blacklisted from future USATF-MUT teams/activities...For now, here's just some clips of the scenery from the run....not much, but it's something to remember my last real run of my career...




4 comments:

  1. JJ,

    So sorry to hear about your foot!!!

    There is some evidence that running in shoes constructed with the heel lower than the forefoot can damage tendons and ligaments in the foot causing plantar fasciitis and other problems.

    Something to think about.

    Here's hoping you heal up quick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came from Kevin Tilton's blog to read this post 'cause anything that involves the Keenyans is hilarious, especially when it involves Josh Ferenc, who, by the looks of things, has changed very little since he was sixteen.

    Get healthy soon, man. And post more video, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,

    Ouch man. I'm sorry you're still hurting. I'm gonna meet the ladies on top of Pinnacle Mtn. and we'll do a healing ritual for you. Seriously, get healthy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take care JJ. Snow shoe season is about to start. You don't want to be looking at my back side. You'll have to kill yourself.

    ReplyDelete