Monday, November 15, 2010

Training 11-15 to 11-21

Wrap Up: 76.2 Miles in 6 days (w/ Sunday off as I was away all day).  Good week for me coming off of a wash of a week last week because of my feet.  I still have issues and will be addressing them as best I can while still trying to hold onto some fitness and enjoying myself.  Huge kudos to Danny V (the young DV) and another local guy, Dave Bedoya, who both killed it down in Philadelphia this weekend.  Proud of those guys.

11-20- Saturday: 28 Miles - N.Conway, NH with Kevin Tilton. Green Hills run from Kevin's house to Hurricane Mt. Road via Rattlesnake Mtn (1575 ft.), Middle Mtn (1801 ft.), Peaked Mtn (1673 ft.), and Black Cap (2356 ft.) then back.  Very cool run through Redstone. We got to see all the old Quarry machinery and leftover buildings.  We parked my car on Hurricane Mtn. road and went back to Kevin's house to start from there.  It took us about 2:32 to get to my car, then 2:47 to get back (mostly because I was having a tough time on the climbs, especially the one back up Black Cap from Hurricane Mt. Rd.). Total time for the run was 5:19 and change (running time).  We were out for a total of about 6 hrs including the stop at the car and a few stops mainly on the summits for water and some quick pictues.   My hamstrings, ankles, plantar fascia, hips, lower back, and butt were all killing me at 14 miles and not too long after we turned around to head back, I started to bonk.  I kept it together on the way back better than I thought and had enough gels to get me through and rebound.  Water was a different story.  I ran out of water on the way out, but got to refill at my car.  On the way back, I was out before halfway.  I filled my bottle in a small stream because I was desperate.  Kevin told me I'd get beaver fever from drinking it. I took my chances.  Now I'm nervous as hell.  There were steady snow flurries and powerful wind gusts in the higher elevations and it was probably in the low 30s the whole time.  We got out of the trails and back onto the road (about 2.5 miles from Kevin's house) just as it got completely dark....timing it basically perfectly.  I'll post some photos/short vids tomorrow sometime.  I hope my stomach isn't killing me tomorrow...



11-19 - Friday: 7 Miles - Winni Trails - Haverhill.  2 bangs around the basin (solo) + 5 loop w/ DD.



11-18 - Thursday: 11.2 Miles - N.Andover/Andover roads from Merrimack w/ Birdy's brother and Team Healey. MQ pushed the pace the whole time, running like a crazy person with no headlamp.  PF on right foot was my only issue and it wasn't even that bad...better than usual actually. 1:12:01.

Splits from Mike's Garmin: 7:19, 6:47, 6:44, 6:37, 6:28, 6:12, 6:29, 6:24, 6:29, 6:48, 5:51.

11-17 - Wednesday: 10 Miles - Winni trails in Haverhill.  Turned out to be a really nice afternoon.  Glad I waited to run.  First 2 bangs around the basin with DD and Matt Simpson + the 5 loop with Dan Verrington, DD, and Matt + 3 additional basin loops solo.  1:10:48.


I voted (not sure why) for the GP races today at the USATF-NE site.

Five of the men's races were already picked:

Sunday, March 20    New Bedford Half Marathon        New Bedford, MA
Sunday, May 8         Medical Center 6K                        Nashua NH
Sunday, June 5         Rhody 5K (men only)                   Lincoln RI

Sunday, July 17        Stowe 8 Miler                               Stowe VT

Saturday, July 30      Carver Cranberry 5 Mile               Carver MA

I most likely won't be able to do the 5k or the 5M, so that stinks...

Essentially we are only voting on (besides the women's 5k):

10 km Championship

  • Sunday, May 1   -  James Joyce Ramble - Dedham, MA
  • Saturday, June 12  -  Newton 10K - Newton, MA


Marathon Championship

  • Sunday, October 16   -  Amica Marathon - Newport, RI
  • Sunday, October 30   -  Cape Cod Marathon - Falmouth, MA

I voted for the James Joyce Ramble for a few reasons.

Basically the Newton 10k is in the summer, which is fine, but it's the same day as one of my favorite races/days of the year (Market Square Day).  If Newton gets picked, I will not be in attendance.  James Joyce is 1 week before the 6k, yes, but Newton is 1 week after the 5k, so it's basically a wash in that respect.  They both butt right up against another race.  The James Joyce ramble may not get picked because it's 13 days after Boston, but I think that is enough time for me and it certainly isn't going to affect too too many people who want to rip a fast 10k…If it was a 30k or half marathon, the audience running both Boston and that race may be larger, but a 10k it is safe to say, will be a different type of audience for the most part.  James Joyce is an established race.  It was last held as a GP in 2001 and 2002.

In 2001, CMS placed 2nd behind Reebok Boston.

 2.    2:36:56   Central Mass Striders                
        (30:38) Eric Morse  (30:44) Dave Dunham  (31:44) Larry Sayers  (31:45) Kevin Beck  (32:05) Al Bernier

In 2002, CMS placed 3rd behind Reebok Boston and BAA.

  3.   2:38:50   Central Mass Striders
        (30:41) Paul Low  (31:11) Eric Morse  (32:09) Al Bernier  (32:13) Rod Viens  (32:36) Richard Bolt


I also voted for the Amica Marathon because 1) it's earlier in October and 2) Cape Cod isn't exactly fast and I hear it can be windy and tough in spots…I know nothing about Amica, but I went against my instinct above and voted against the established race (as Cape Cod has hosted the marathon championships for USATF-NE many times. Either way, I won't be disappointed.  I like Baystate, but I've run it 3 Octobers in a row.  It's time for a change and whatever wins, will be a change so I'm content with either of these two choices.

11-16 - Tuesday: 10 Miles - River trail from the hotel, Andover, MA. 1:05:43 (out in 33:35 and back in 32:08)... felt better on this one, but pushed it a bit more to see where I was at.  Interestingly enough, at the beginning things were worse than yesterday, but then everything warmed/loosened up.  Near the end, my LEFT foot started to cramp.  The issue last week was my right.  Never before have I had these cramps...all of the sudden, both feet.  Thoughts?  In either case, it felt good to crank out there again and I wish it was the summer again when running on those trails... too many leaves, especially on the downhills...very slick out there.

On a different note... Looking back 15 years ago this month (it is not often I get to do this, considering 5 or 10 years ago I wasn't even running...but 15 years ago I was!!)... to the left is yours truly, keeping pace (or trying to anyways) with Andy Bengston of Keene State.  Andy was a great guy and someone I keyed off of for a couple years in just about every race I ran...we were always pretty close together and sometimes I'd beat him but most of the time I seem to remember him just edging me out (he ended up running for CMS in the late 90s... but then again, doesn't everybody at some point run for CMS?).

This was up in Saratoga Springs, NY at the College of St. Rose for the 1995 East Regional Men's and Women's Cross Country Championships.  Back then, it wasn't the 'Northeast' or 'New England'.  It was the 'East'.  This meant NY, Ohio, PA, etc.  The region was much deeper.  Also, Keene and a couple other schools (like Albany, etc.) were in Div 2 at the time.  I ended up finishing 19th here in a pretty tight race.  It was probably my best regional race.  Interestingly enough I can't find any results for 3 of the 4 regionals I ran in College.  Maybe that's a good thing. Considering I never really ran that fast anyways...but I did have a decent Freshman year and Senior year (until Senior year regionals where I led for a couple miles and then tanked)... By the way...our uniforms were TERRIBLE back then....the first 2 years I was there were the worst 2 years of UML uniforms I've ever seen.....

11-15 - Monday: 10 Miles - River trail from the ritzy Wyndham hotel along side picturesque I-93 North in Andover, MA. 1:12:20.  Threw the inserts back in my shoes and really took it easy, but it felt great getting back out there and actually running.  Even though I had issues most of the way, I felt good.  4 days off last week and basically a wash of a week really derailed me mentally.  It was just really good to get out there again and feel normal again.  I wanted to get an early run in but I had to back out.  Those may have to wait a bit, as the morning is really bad on my feet.  I can barely walk and it takes me literally a few minutes of stretching and massaging my feet before I can put them on the ground and get out of bed... its loosens up as the day progresses, so my morning run routine (that I haven't really started yet anyways) will have to wait.  As far as my afternoon trek through the remote Andover trail system...tons of leaves on the trail made it very slow on the downhills.  Just really cruised and took my time.  I think I was out in 36:23 or so (quickly glanced at my watch) and back in 35:57.  Not a bad effort for thinking I have major problems with my feet (yes both feet).  My ankles are really sore and stiff (cracking now constantly) and my PF on both feet are killing me and my heel on my right foot hurts like hell if I even look at it wrong.  Couple all this with foot cramps now for some reason, on both feet.  Not good but they feel better after basically a week down and constant ice, advil, massage, epsom soaks, and some night splint usage...oh yeah, and stretching...don't forget stretching...

It was essentially back to basics here as I try to ease my way back into a full week of running (easy to say when it's still only Monday)... to fall inline with most of the other folks out here in the blogosphere, I will TRY to post my weekly exploits a-la one continuous post that is updated daily and only really interesting on it's last day...but on this daily basis I will try to do so with a more in-depth look at the horror-show that is currently me.

For those of you who are still eating, here are a couple snapshots of my feet (more specifically my toes) in their current condition.  For those counting at home, before the big one blew off of my left foot (right before I snapped this photo of it still hanging on), I had six toes that were rocking the purple toenails and only 4 left (2 per foot) that hadn't gone purple just yet (and I stress yet).


 


If you think they are bad, check out this video of Mike Wardian after the Marathon de Sables this year.  This doesn't quite rival Mike Quintal's post Mt. Washington / Bridge of Flowers epic blister scene, where literally the bottom of his entire foot came off, but it's still pretty sweet....


3 comments:

  1. Oh my god!!!!! Unbelievable. I've seen stuff on the floor of a butcher shop that looks better than that. No wonder some dudes get their toenails permanently removed.

    Wardian's feet are insane, too. That blister on his left foot looks like Popeye's bicep! Looks like his toe is 9 months pregnant.

    I don't know, man. I think if my feet were that beat I'd learn to run on my hands. I was laughing when I saw the pics, but laughing like when you see somebody take a header while skiing. You laugh but it's like a pained laugh.

    I hope you get through this week okay and you start healing up. PF is a bitch ... I lost 4 months to it last year - but then again I think my pain threshold is lower than yours - uh, yeah, pretty much sure about that!!!! Maybe this explains a bit about why you're so freaking fast JJ!

    Feel good and rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophomore year regionals at Slippery Rock (remember the snow):

    http://www.runhigh.com/1996%20Results/R110996B.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It felt good to rock the vote today.

    ReplyDelete