Sunday, December 27, 2009

2009 NH Male Runner of the Year


The week after NER named their runners of the year (based on state), I real quickly wanted to mention another NH-only honor that is announced at the end of each racing season.  I'm thrilled to have been recognized again this year by Andy Schachat and his Foster's column for being the NH/Seacoast runner of the year for 2009, sharing the honor with John Mentzer (Kittery
, ME) (pictured to the left w/ me at the York Days 5k this past summer) who is one of the top marathoners in the US.  John really took it to me this year in the head-to-head races in the Seacoast Series, as he won all the races he entered (except for the early season Children's Museum race which was won by Chris Mahoney).  John won the Marine Corps marathon this year and competed in the 2008 US Olympic Trials for the Men's Marathon in NYC in November of 2007.  I graciously took 2nd overall in the Seacoast Series this year and picked up my jacket this past week up at Runner's Alley in Portsmouth, NH (pictured below). I'll blog more about the Seacoast Series and my past year, racing and training, in my year-end blog post that I am almost done writing.  For now, I just wanted to mention my delight in seeing the latest "Andy On The Run" column in Fosters.


Everyone knows Andy as being the voice behind most of the Seacoast area races as well as other road, track, mountain, triathlon, etc. races all over New Hampshire and New England.  He's been the voice of the Mt. Washington Road Race for years and has continued to be a great voice and columnist for the New England and New Hampshire running community.  Out of all the races I've done this year, he was the MC at most of them, including the most memorable, like Mt. Washington, The US Mountain Running Championships at Mt. Cranmore, Big Lake, Market Square, Red Hook, Luti, Yankee, Boston Prep, Saunders, Great Island, Great Bay, Baystate Marathon, and many others.  Andy announces multiple races and events a weekend (he announced over 70 races this past year alone) and writes a weekly column about the regional racing scene that is second to none.  He has been at it for the last decade and a half at Fosters and knows more about the local running community than anyone.  He's very well respected in the running community and it's very cool to have him recognize my tenacious racing this past year, once again to be 'co'-named Male Runner of the Year for the second time in a row.  I know other top runners like Scott Rowe and Wilson Perez have been named NH Runner of the Year by Andy On The Run and with guys like Casey Moulton, Justin Freeman, and Mark Miller, Brandon Newbould (just to name a few) kicking around in NH, it's great to get the recognition for my range and race frequency that I take pride in stretching as thin as I possibly can ;).

He wrote another article recently, in which he recaps the best of the best for the past decade.  Check it out here.

Last year's Best of the Best article for 2008 is here.

I will most likely have my blog update about the I Love Woodford Race from today, posted sometime tomorrow (or whenever the results get pushed online).



5 comments:

  1. Congrats,
    You have certainly had a busy and successful year that has been fun to read about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks all. Fun year for racing and running....here's to another one in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only I lived in NH! Ha Ha!

    Congrats JJ

    ReplyDelete