Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ollie 5M

Saturday morning I met the brothers-Quintal at the river trail parking log in Andover for the ride down to South Boston to run in the Ollie 5 Mile Road Race (results) which serves once again as the USATF-New England 5 Mile Grand Prix Championship. The weather was abysmal and poured on the way down as well as during the race. Despite the steady downpour and thunder & lightning, the race went off as planned.

I immediately felt run down and tired. I hit the first mile in 5:03 and couldn't even begin to count how many guys were in front of me. I was getting smoked and felt terrible just one mile in. By mile 2, I really started to rig up and because the split was way off (2nd mile was way long) I thought I was running worse than I was and started to pack it in. Multiple guys started motoring on by me including my teammate Kevin Tilton. I tried to hang on to the back of Kevin and Patrick Rich (CMS) for the next few miles but it was just miserable and unenjoyable. I haven't been feeling well over the past couple weeks and this week I've really struggled with congestion and some fatigue. It was really catching up to me over mile 3, but because of the previous split being off, I didn't even bother looking at my 3rd mile split. It just didn't feel right and was one of those days. By mile 4, I looked curiously at my watch as I was continuing to pick off some guys who went out too fast, and saw 20:12 as I went past. I then started to realize that I probably wasn't running as bad as I thought and maybe had a chance at sub 26. The last mile was a grind. It was raining and the wind was blowing pretty good. I just hung on to the back of Kevin and Rich and finished in a mix of guys right at 25:27 for 34th place. Talk about a fast field.

I don't have a heck of a lot to say about this race in general. The course just doesn't excite me. To each his own...but I just don't get it. Don't get me wrong, it's well run, well organized, it's just running around some less than impressive roads in Boston. This was technically my fastest 5 Mile since coming back to running (so my 30+ PR), but I've only run a handful of 5 milers, as the distance isn't all the common anymore, and almost never shows up on my schedule (a road 5 Miler anyways). At posting of this blog, I see that they screwed up the actual distance and it really was 4.91 miles, so I stinks. No other words to describe. A huge race. New England championship. And then mess up the mile splits and the turnaround to make the course short. Nice.

I am not really sure why I'm not particularly excited about the effort today (even when I thought it was a full 5 miles)...I have very mixed emotions. It could be because I couldn't hang with my teammates, the weather was awful, I'm not a fan of the course, I was way back in the pack, as this is a humbling New England championship, etc. There's a bunch of reasons...I think I'm just tired right now and wasn't really up for it. I wanted to run low 25 and even had dreams about going under....I would like to think that if I was feeling better I would have really done something special here...but it just wasn't to be.

On the absolute opposite end of the spectrum, Justin Fyffe (our top guy on CMS) absolutely ripped it up out there today. I didn't have a smile on my face for just about the entire day, until I came across the line and saw him standing there, and asked him how he did. When he told me that he ran 23:54 and came in 3rd in practically a photo finish, I was elated. That is absolutely incredible to see and I'm thrilled that he pulled that effort out in his FIRST 5 Miler ever. That kid is a hard worker and if anyone deserves that performance, it is him.

As a team, we finished 5th, which isn't too bad. We've been in the top 5 teams all year and continue to roll.

Top 10 Overall + CMS (Men) in Blue:


Place
Time
Pace
Name
Age
City/StateClub
1
23:53
4:52
Joseph Koech
40
Somerville MA RUN
2
23:53
4:52
Patrick Mellea
23
North Arlington NJ
3
23:54
4:52
Justin Fyffe
29
East Dummerston VTCMS
4
24:00
4:54
Mathew Kiplagat
26
New Rochelle NY WCTC
5
24:02
4:54
Mark Miller
28
Keene NH BAA
6
24:08
4:55
Ryan Place
23
Brighton MA GBTC
7
24:12
4:56
Brian Harvey
22
Allston MA BAA
8
24:15
4:57
Paul Ryan
29
Cambridge MA WHIRL
9
24:20
4:58
Curtis Wheeler
23
Buxton ME ADIDAS
10
24:20
4:58
Nicholas Wheeler
23
Gorham ME ADIDAS
29
25:21
5:10
Patrick Rich
33
South Hamilton MA CMS
31
25:22
5:10
Kevin Tilton
27
North Conway NH CMS
34
25:27
5:11
Jim Johnson
32
Salem NH CMS
43
25:48
5:16
Andy McCarron
26
Keene NH CMS
47
25:58
5:18
Alan Bernier
35
Providence RI CMS
50
26:06
5:19
Matt Clark
26
Amherst MA CMS
70
27:06
5:32
Dan Verrington
47
Bradford MA CMS
76
27:24
5:35
Jim Pawlicki
34
Beverly MA CMS
80
27:58
5:42
David Quintal
46
Salem NH CMS
99
28:36
5:50
Dave Dunham
45
Bradford MA CMS
116
29:31
6:01
Michael Quintal
31
North Andover MA CMS
147
30:37
6:15
Kevin Connor
45
CMS
204
32:39
6:39
Brian Specht
47
Princeton MA CMS
227
33:33
6:50
Edward Coleman
46
Auburn MA CMS
256
34:19
7:00
Sidney Letendre
54
Florence MA CMS

Awesome race photos by Krissy K at her SmugMug page. Thanks Krissy! All Ollie Photos presented in this entry are from this photoset.







After Ollie, I shot home for a bit (a couple hours) and then headed up to Newington, NH to run in the Fox Point Sunset 5 Miler, which is 6th race of 8 in the Seacoast Road Race Series. I did this double last year in the oppressive heat and humidity of one of the hottest days of the summer. I will pretty much say nothing more about this race, other than the fact that the weather continued to be garbage, I still wasn't feeling good, and I took a WRONG TURN about 2.5 miles into the race. My plan was to just go up there, run for 3rd place (because series leader and elite US marathoner John Mentzer was there, along with Kevin Alliette, who are not only both far faster than I at that distance, but they also had fresh legs). All was going fine. I went through 1 mile in 5:07 and was nowhere close to them, but had an out of sight (literally) lead on the next guy. I hit 2 miles in 10:20's high and felt fine. Then, I came to an intersection after coming up on lapped runners (it's a loop course at the beginning), and there was NO volunteers there. It was incredible. A race with tons of volunteers in a great and popular series, and there wasn't a soul at the intersection (or a sign) except for a police officer who was there for traffic control only and not to point runners in the right direction. Confused, I took a right and went with the lapped traffic. I ran down the hill and to the 1 mile marker (again). At that point, I came up on the guy calling out splits and asked him as I went by. He said 'no no, you go the other way on the second loop'. Well, I immediately hit boiling point. I shouted a few explatives to myself and turned around to look up the hill and see 7 or 8 guys all now ahead of me, taking that turn. It took my another mile or so to catch and pass everyone again. At this point, my race was trashed. I actually wasn't sure I'd be able to make up the ground on all the guys, but finally passed the last guy at about 3.5 and hung on to finish 3rd, but not by much. Just a horrible experience. I feel bad for making somewhat of a scene after the race and complaining about it, seeing the course was mapped out online, but still...in a race like that, with loops and 800 runners, you need signs and at least one volunteer at every intersection. I still got the third and the third place money and called it a day at 19 miles total. On the way home, I drove the turn and figured out that it was just over .3 miles extra and took me a good couple minutes (I had to run back up the hill to get back on course). I think the effort would have yielded me 26 mid, but it is again, what it is. 2 extra minutes or so of running...but same place I would have gotten. Mentzer ripped it up and set the course record with a 24:52 and Kevin was not too far behind in a fleet 25:05.

Not a memorable day for anything positive, except for maybe 30+ PRing in a SHORT 5 miles. I am beat and need some rest and to get healthy by next week's 10k championship. That's all I got for now.

4 comments:

  1. Wow - great racing despite all that other crap!

    Can you take a wrong turn at MW next year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to run tough yesterday (twice). When you're feeling like garbage 20% of the way through a five-miler (or "five-miler" in this unfortunate instance) and happen to be in a race where there are 25 guys faster than you even in a best-case scenario, you've stumbled into a truly evil confluence of circumstances.

    After your effort at CIGNA (worth <15:00 on a cool day on a flatter course), there's no question you can run under 25 for five miles and scare 31 for 10K. But you and I both know you won't do it with a steady stream of doubles, be these same-day adventures or Saturday-Sunday ones. It's just not possible to remain sharp under the lash of such a schedule. It's certainly a fair choice in its own right and I think you're a bad-ass, but at some point you need to decide whether you want to chase a few fast times or a lot of ancillary rewards (and some cash).

    This is my new favorite running blog. You might consider putting fewer posts on the index page given the vast number of images you include, but otherwise the place rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JJ,

    That sounds like something I have told you in the past.

    ReplyDelete