Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Lone Gull 10K


After talking with DD on Saturday afternoon,  I made a last minute decision to head over to Gloucester on Sunday to try and help the team in the USATF-NE Grand Prix 10K Championships (results).  We thought we may need a 5th guy to score for us, seeing a couple of our top guys at that distance weren't going to be there.  Even though I had been struggling with severe congestion and haven't felt 100% in a couple weeks, I went thinking I would just give it a shot.  I'm glad I went down, even though it didn't go well.  If I hadn't gone, I wouldn't have known how I could have done and I would have felt even worse, knowing I didn't even try to help out the team.  As it turns out, we did have a solid 5th man and they didn't really need me.  It would have been nice to have run the same time I did exactly 1 month ago in the same type of course (at Rye).  Had I been able to do that (32:20) I would have been about 15 places higher overall and 3rd man instead of 6th man...but then again just about everyone can say a similar thing...woulda coulda shoulda... but not to be this time around.

I felt sluggish out of the gate and still went through the mile in 5:02...but then I realized, as I was pretty far back even at 5:02, that a lot of other guys were having great days out there and I was not going to be so lucky.  The 2nd mile was very slow and the 3rd was a bit faster but I still came through the 5k in 16:14 which was a couple ticks slower than my 5k split in Rye...and I knew I wasn't going to be able to run a negative split  like I did in Rye...The cramps started coming in (I haven't had a cramp in a race since I can't remember when) and my breathing was terrible.  I was rigging up badly over the last few miles and was just reaching for the line as guys continued to pass by.  I rode 5th man for CMS out of the gate, and then at about 4 miles (maybe a little more), Matt Clark motored on by me and I was done.  I gave him a little pep talk about being that last man and lit a small fire as he went by.  I hung on and wimpered to the finish line in 40th place, in my 2nd slowest 10k (33:14) since coming back, not including Bridge of Flowers (which is a very hilly / slow course).

That is now 2 bad races (2 bad Grand Prix races) in a row + a race in which I took a wrong turn...not a very good taste in my mouth over the past 2 weeks, that's for sure.  Right now my motivation is kind of low, but aside from my congestion / headaches/ breathing issues I've had for the last month, my legs and body feel really good.  I have no issues to speak of other than the sinus problems.  The hamstrings/back/hips, etc. are all fine.  My runs are going ok, although my mileage is not as high as I was wanting around now...but the important thing for me now is to recover and get back to 100% with my breathing and head issues.  This weekend I am going down to Franklin Park for what may be my only time down there this year, for some cross country fun at the Codfish Bowl.  I'm hoping I can muster a decent 8k, or at least faster than the previous 2 years.  We'll see how it goes.

On a side note, again I found myself going from very disappointed an defeated, to elated and excited when I came up on Justin Fyffe and Al B. walking back to the cars after the race.  I asked how he had done and found out that yet again, he manned up and got another top finish (3rd overall) in a Grand Prix...this time in a fleet 30:40 (4:56 pace).  This kid is on fire and has a chance for the win at Baystate.  He's all but wrapped up the overall individual title, which if he can get it, will be the first CMS individual Grand Prix title since Dave Dunham last did it in 2000.  Just nipping Justin at the line is my former MVS teammate Dan Vassallo, who is also having a great year on the roads... Big things to come from that guy as well, as he is only 24 years old...his team is loaded with talent and they had the best team showing, in my opinion, of any team at any of the GPs this year, with their 2,5,6,7,29 finish at the 10k.

In the team competition, CMS just edged out GBTC (even without my help) by 2 seconds to take the 5th spot.  Now, with only 1 event remaining (and only 3 runners scoring for it), which is the Baystate Marathon in just under 4 weeks time, it will be almost anyones guess as to who will come out on top.  Everyone of these teams (except adidas who are new this year) generally field good teams at the GP marathon. Had adidas NE fielded a team of any kind at DH Jones, and BAA scored at the 12k, the standings would no doubt look a lot different...but you've got to send guys to get the points...

Team standings (Men's Open) after 6 events:

Club
10M
13.1M
12k
5k
5M
10K
Total
GREATER BOSTON TRACK CLUB  
12
21
11
15
12
14
85
BOSTON ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
14
22
  
17
14
18
85
CENTRAL MASS STRIDERS      
13
19
12
13
10
15
82
adidas NEW ENGLAND         
20
14
14
13
19
80
WHIRLAWAY RACING TEAM      
11
17
13
12
9
16
78

For now, I've included some awesome pictures of my slow run at the Lone Gull 10k, courtesy of Ted Tyler, Kristen Kozlosky, and Stephanie Hirst.  Some of the best race photos I've seen, came out of this race...too bad it was one of my worst races of the year...



















1 comment:

  1. JJ - way to take one for the team. Breathe some of that H1N1 fire on the shoes for me so I can get back intot he 33s.

    ReplyDelete