Wednesday, August 5, 2009

N.H. State Police D.A.R.E. Classic 5k

Wednesday night I shot up to Loudon, NH to run the 19TH Annual N.H. State Police D.A.R.E. Classic 5k (results) which is actually run on the New Hampshire International Motor Speedway track. I originally thought that it was just run on the flat track, but at closer inspection of the description of the course and the course map, I knew it was going to be a little more interesting. The description on the website said 'Fast, flat to mildly rolling, complex of loops'. The mildly rolling part is two hills you run up on the back side of the course (you do this twice, so 4 hills total) that is for motorcycle racing or some other (non-NASCAR) competition. It broke it up a little and added some spice to the course for sure. The weather was pretty warm and muggy, but not oppressive like say Ollie was last year. I headed up solo (as Kristin was working until 5) and showed up just before Kevin (pictured to the left with yours truly) and Jess Tilton pulled in. We walked over to the registration area and noticed Sam Wood (former race winner) milling around. He's been getting back into racin' shape and knew he'd be one to watch out for. Kevin and I went out for a 2 and a half mile warm up (give or take) and some stretching and strides...

As the gun went off, a younger (possibly high school) runner jetted out to the front and led for maybe the first half mile or so. He was way out in front for the first quarter and I reeled him in just before the half and put some distance on him on the first uphill climb. That was basically it. I cranked on through in a 4:55 first mile and kept on pluggin. You come through the finish area just about halfway through the race and I had a decent lead at that point. I threw a couple of quick glances back and saw it was Kevin and Sam who were running close together. There was no visible 2 mile mark so I wasn't sure what I ran through 2 in, but knew I was keeping up a pretty solid pace. The last mile seemed to take forever. Because you can see basically across the entire course, it just seems longer than it actually is. As it's a two loop course, you start to pass through other runners and walkers, which makes it a bit hairy at times (especially near the end). As I approached the finish, I was peeking at my watch but really couldn't gauge a time. I came through in 15:37 which is plenty fast for me. That's 1 second faster than I ran at Redhook in May so I was pretty pumped, as it was my fastest road 5k of the year so far. It was also a new course record, 3 seconds faster than Rod Viens' 1995 run. Kevin held off Sam for 2nd place overall and a 1-2 finish for CMS.

Top 10 Finishers (CMS in Blue)

Place
Time
Pace
Name
Age
City/State
1
15:37
5:02
Jim Johnson
32
Salem NH
2
16:22
5:16
Kevin Tilton
27
North Conway NH
3
16:26
5:18
Samuel Wood
23
Laconia NH
4
16:33
5:20
Eugene Bounds
18
Concord NH
5
17:36
5:40
Christopher Suprin
15
Newburyport MA
6
18:18
5:54
Dan Poliquin
43
Farmington NH
7
18:29
5:57
Mark Hecox
45
Henniker NH
8
18:36
6:00
Lance Powers
39
Rochester NH
9
18:47
6:03
Stephen Uhlman
18
Ashland NH
10
18:59
6:07
Chaz Munroe
15
Concord NH

It was also cool to see my high school coach there running the race at 81 years young. He covered the course in 32:59 (10:37 pace) and was 2nd of 4 in the 70-99 age group!

WMUR (Channel 9) interviewed me after the race, which I thought was very cool.





Photos below by Jess Tilton







7 comments:

  1. Jim, on TV man, very cool! You are running really well this summer and 41 races too! Keep going strong.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty cool man. keep it up! you are on fire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like another version of that beautiful course down in Rhody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool baseball scores....just kidding. Great race, you're on a roll. That news guy seemed impressed, to bad it wasn't Al Kaprelian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha...Kaprielian is on WNDS... this was WMUR... Kevin and I had that conversation at the race actually :)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, JJ. Awesome win and a course record to boot. Well done.

    ReplyDelete