Saturday, April 11, 2009

George Davis Invite & The Rivah

Saturday was a mixed bag of awful weather, and a lot of running related hooplah.  I started off by  heading over to the  Merrimack River Trail to take  pictures (810) of the 10 mile race...standing still outside for 2+ hours in the drizzling ice cold rain is probably not the best way to spend the hours leading up to a track 5k, but I had a good time seeing a lot of diehards out there braving the elements and running hard on a cold, muddy river trail ....  After leaving the river, I picked up Kristin and we headed over to Lowell for my first outdoor track race in just over 10 years.  I last ran in April of 1999.  

We got there about 3 or so hours early so we hung out in the car as it poured out just about the whole day.  Dave Dunham and I periodically went over to check on the status of the events and we even moved our cars so we could watch the meet and see what events were currently running.  When we thought we had enough time, we went out and did a 3+ mile warmup, then came back and milled around in the car for a bit.  The races went women's first, then men's...so we thought we had enough time, as the women's 5k hadn't gone off yet.  Then my phone rang.  It was Matt Pimentel who was there coaching his Merrimack team.  He told me that they had combined the Men's and Women's 5ks and that we had like 2 minutes to get to the start.  I whipped my uniform and racers on and booked it over to the start.  DD had run to the bathroom and didn't come back to the car until I was all ready..I ran by him and told him the combined races...  At that point I figured I'd go over and tell them to wait a minute until DD was there....he just made it.  We lined up and were off, without stretching, strides, or much time to properly prepare... 

The weather was in the mid 30s and raining pretty good during the race. It was pretty miserable and most people who were at the meet had gone either back to their busses or back to their homes/schools.  Since they scratched the 4x400 relay, we were the last event of the day.  Immediately, there was a lead pack of Jose Ortiz (Whirlaway), Adam Holmes (Merrimack), John Doherty (Merrimack), and a couple other runners (who ended up going 1-2).  John held on for a bit and then fell back a bit and pretty soon it was the lead 2 runners up front, with Jose, Adam, and I running 3-5 respectfully.  Adam and Jose swapped back and forth with the lead and I just hung on beside whoever was up front.   I tried firing up Adam and Jose on occasion, telling them to pick it up a bit periodically (as I think the second mile we all slowed a bit).  The mistake I made was not running my own race after the first mile.  I felt really good for just about the entire thing.  I was comfortable and smooth and just sat on Adam and Jose as I figured that we could all run down the top 2 guys...but with 3 laps to go I knew that it was not going to happen.  The top 2 runners pulled away.  I went around Jose with 3 or 4 laps to go and then went by Adam with just over 1 to go but couldn't catch the top guys.  I pulled within 5 seconds of 2nd but couldn't catch him.  In the end I was a tick over 16 min (again) but I felt really strong and comfortable at that pace.  I felt like it was a training run and really regret not racing smarter and just sticking with the lead guys.  15:40s was definitely doable today even though I didn't run it, so I have a bit more confidence going into next week that my fitness is coming back around.

Kristin once again braved the rain and cold to get some nice shots.

Results:

Name
Year
Team
Time
1
Clark, Kevin
SR
Roger Williams
15:40.66
2
Keshian, Gregory
SR
Babson
15:56.90
3
Johnson, Jim
UML alumni - 1999
16:01.91
4
Holmes, Adam
SR
Merrimack
16:07.37
5
Ortiz, Jose
whirlaway
16:14.91
6
Dunham, Dave
UML alumni - 1987
16:35.99
7
Doherty, John
FR
Merrimack
16:40.60
8
Surabian, John
FR
St. Anselm
17:10.23
9
Powers, Chris
FR
St. Anselm
17:17.49
10
Stanwyck, Chris
JR
Merrimack
18:33.89

Splits by 400m:

75
76 (2:31)
76 (3:47)
77 (5:04)
77 (6:22)
78 (7:40)
77 (8:57)
79 (10:17)
77 (11:34)
78 (12:53)
78 (14:12)
74 (15:26)
.34

Can you tell I've been training for a marathon (kind of)?

I think I'll revisit the 5k on the track, one more time this year at the Loco 5000 in August.  Hopefuly by then I'll be doing some more speed stuff.

2 comments:

  1. It was fun (???) hanging out with you and Kristen. What a day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Pretty even splits through out too.

    ReplyDelete