Thursday, January 1, 2009

28th Annual Hangover Classic 5/10k

Happy New Year everyone...1 day up and 1 race in the books...not a bad start.  New Years day, I drove Dave and Cathy Dunham, the lovely and talented Kristin, and Dan Verrinton (fresh off a plane from Florida) to the 28th annual Hangover Classic 5k/10k (results) in Salisbury, MA, put on by the Winner's Circle.

All I can say about this one is that it 'could' have been my 2nd snowshoe race of the year, had I brought a pair of snowshoes to the race...  As you can see from the photo of the start, there wasn't too much clear pavement in this one... I'd say 75% or so of the race was on snow or slush... some parts of the straightaway on the main road was clear on certain sides of the road, which meant an awful lot of crossing back and forth... 

The weather was brutally cold with the windchill... enough to scare all of us away from the ocean plunge afterwards...  The race immediately got off to a bad start as the lead vehicle got caught and couldn't pass an oncoming plow...so the top 10 or so of us all went by and then took the first right, only to completely come to a stop for a brief while, while we waited for someone to tell us where to go... the lead vehicle caught back up eventually and we were off without a hitch from there... We all brought racing flats which turned out to be a pretty dumb move...  Each step on the snow was challenge and some parts around the corners were slick enough where I just had to almost stop to make the turn... Terry Shea (the 10k winner) wore racing flats with Yaktrax on...couple that with being in great shape, and he's got a $200 win under his belt already in 2009.  Add up the course conditions with the temps and the wind and it was pretty slow going for everyone out there....scary to see what kind of time Terry would have run on clear roads...

My race was pretty much what I was expecting... just going through the motions as I try to reel myself back into shape...  Terry Shea (BAA), , and Andy McCarron (CMS) went out immediately and pulled away from me over the first mile or so... I ran in front of Danny Gough for 5 or so miles before he decided to go around me and kick it in.  I took a couple peeks behind me over the last mile, didn't see anyone, and coasted in with a shocking 34:50....shockingly FAST given the fact that I thought I had run at least 38 minutes...  My watch froze up on me right after the start and the display shut off...I had no clue where I was, how long I had been running, or how far (no visible mile markers)...

Dave Dunham offered a free cherry-picking clinic today and ran in the JV 5k, finishing 2nd in a blazing 18:55... and contrary to the race app and online race description, won money... what a jerk.  His wife Cathy also braved the elements and ran the 5k in 32:45.

Top Finishers and CMS Results (in blue):

--10k--

Place
Name
Age
S
Time
Pace
1
TERRANCE SHEA     
35
M
32:37
5:15
2
NICHOLAS WHEELER  
22
M
33:13
5:21
3
ANDY MCCARRON     
26
M
33:22
5:23
4
DANNY GOUGH       
40
M
34:31
5:34
5
JIM JOHNSON       
31
M
34:50
5:37
6
DAN VERRINGTON    
46
M
35:28
5:43
7
DAVID QUINTAL     
45
M
35:50
5:46
8
MICHAEL QUINTAL     
M
37:52
6:06
9
JIMMIE COCHRAN    
34
M
38:12
6:09
10
FABBIO PIERGENTILI
45
M
39:12
6:19


--5k--

Place
Name
Age
S
Time
Pace
1
ALEX BROWN     
21
M
18:40
6:01
2
DAVE DUNHAM    
44
M
18:55
6:06
3
PAUL DOE       
49
M
19:13
6:12
4
KATHLEEN GILROY
47
F
19:41
6:21
5
TODD GERRISH   
47
M
19:51
6:24
6
DAVID SALTMARSH
44
M
20:01
6:27
7
BRENDEN GUINEE 
18
M
20:36
6:38
8
BOB STROUT     
53
M
20:37
6:39
9
JIM CURRAN     
46
M
20:41
6:40
10
JACK COLLOPY   
14
M
20:44
6:41


Top 3 got cash... 4th place was the 1st master, so in 5th place, I won the 30-39 age category which got me a Hangover Classic jacket and gloves....not bad.  And so far this week, I haven't gotten an actual hangover... key words being 'so far'...

Kristin took photos of the start (up on SmugMug) and then the cold weather actually shut down our camera...she only had the video cam functioning for the finish....  

Video Clip 1: Pre race visual evidence wind and delightful conditions....



Video Clip 2: Preparing... and words of wisdom from Dan Verrington...




Video Clip 3: Last minute 'strides' before the race (a.k.a. trying to stay warm)...



Video Clip 4: gads of 5k finishers coming in...then 4th place in 10k, then me...


...thats all for now... 

2 comments:

double-d said...

I like the vid that shows how damn windy it was, never mind that the road was snow covered....

Nice run this morning!

britney said...

nice post and thanks for sharing....

___________________
Britney
Entertainment at one stop