Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I'm not dead...yet...

So I really got nuthin' worthwhile to talk about... I had a pretty crummy week last week with first a company 'restructuring' which left some dear friends of mine without jobs, and the direction of my own job in question... Then I had to go out to San Jose for a conference which was valuable in the sense that I got to meet quite a few people I had worked with for years via email and phone, but never met in person... but from a running and training perspective (which is the main focus of this blog), it was a nightmare.   Let's just say that I got my rest in last week.... basically the official end to a jam packed racing season that went from January to December (that's my 'season').  

I raced last Saturday, then headed out to SJ on Sunday morning.  I arrived out there around noon and got to hop on the dreadmill for 10 horrific miles in front of a TV with no remote (so I was stuck watching Storm Chasers which is probably one of the worst shows there is).  I figured it would be a good start to a good week of running in California.  Wow was I wrong.  I soon figured out that I would have ZERO time to run.  None at all.  From dawn to 1am every single night, I was occupied with functions and team dinners.  While they were fun, I really was down about not being able to get my runs in.   I did manage to get out on Wednesday night for about 7 miles before our awards dinner....but if you've ever been in downtown San Jose, you know that you can't go more than 1 block before you have to stop and wait for eons for the lights to change...and newsflash.... the streets there are VERY busy and they frown on jaywalking.  In New England, we don't even know what jaywalking is....and NOBODY waits for the walk signal.  In San Jose, you need to do this, which makes running there just horrendous.   Needless to say, I got 7 miles total in last week.  My worst week all year...but considering the time of year and that I really don't have anything going on now for a bit, I'll use it as a rest and recovery week.... Not to get too deep into the week out West, but I neglected to take any pictures, as I was just plain unmotivated the entire time I was out there...

I got a couple of photos from a coworker who snapped some shots (maybe a couple hundred)...I was only in two of them.  How I managed to avoid literally 200 photo ops with the group I was hanging around with the entire week, is beyond me....but as you can see, not only was I completely removed from running, but I was pushed face first into a barrage of food and drink for 6 straight days....

I did get back into New England just in time to miss the ice storm we had here, but came back to a yard that was a complete mess...We did lose power for about a day, but it was restored right before I got back....others weren't so lucky....I still have a couple friends that don't have power, six days later...

 I took a couple of quick videos (didn't post them as high quality because I am still unmotivated to spend any time doing anything right now)....






On an actual good note, I ran Monday AND Tuesday... back to back days again...like a real runner.  I'm still trying to soak it all in again...  

5 comments:

  1. What the hell - you live in a castle?!

    I don't miss those NE ice storms or 'nor'eastahs.

    Not a bad time for a week's rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. makes you remember how much you appreciate being an athlete...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The term "crummy" is never used enough. I've gotta start inserting that into daily conversations.

    Good to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rest every once in a while can be good. Sorry your trip didn't go better, but at least your back in time for some snowshoeing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim (and Dave)

    It seems that you guys eschew two basic running concepts ...

    1.) the taper ... with all that racing it seems like you never really taper. I see this actually in a good number of runners (Bernie B, Andy Ames). What is your take on doing so many races?

    2.) the off season ... do you have one?

    ReplyDelete