Sunday, November 30, 2008

Training - 11-24 - 11-30

2 races this week and 3 in the last 8 days... One week ago was the Wakefield 5k...Thursday was the Feaster Five (photo of Feaster Five finish to the left -  courtesy of MVS) and then I finished the week off with the Andover Country Club 3.5 Mile (results) cross country race today.  I finished in second place behind Ryan Carrara (NB Boston) who destroys me in every race I've ever seen him at... I went out pretty smooth and steady in the lead for a short bit and then he took over and never looked back.  I tried to keep within a few seconds and a couple times picked up a little bit of ground, but over the last K he was in control and I was just hanging on for 2nd.  He's been sick and just came back running regularly this past week...so it looked a lot closer than it would have been...

It was a pretty fun race with A LOT of twist and turns and short hills throughout the whole course.  The finish has a nice grassy downhill and luckily the bad weather held off, making it a relatively dry run.  The post-race spread was decent...pasta, salad, and all the beer you could handle (although I think I may be coming down with something so I held off on the adult beverages)...  

This week marks week 2 in a row of 70 miles...slowly climbing back up and holding steady...we'll see....






11-24 - 11 miles (1:16:19) - Salem, Methuen, Pelham (Harris' Inn Loop)(roads) - solo.
11-25- 7.5 miles (51:12) - Newburyport (roads) with Al Bernier, Paul LaRosa, Brett Rickenbach...first run of the season w/ headlamp!!! Drizzle and rain...
11-26 - 9.4 miles (1:01:07) - Salem, Methuen - Pelham St. Loop with add on down to Kristin's work and back.. (roads) [Route] - solo.
11-27 - 26:00 w/up before Feaster Five around Andover (solo) + 5k Race - Feaster Five  - 3rd out of 4372 - 16:24 (relatively hilly course) + 26:00 (3 miles) w/ Chris Volante around Andover. - Total - 9.6
11-28 -11 miles (1:24:48) - Bradford, Groveland, Georgetown (trails and roads) - w/ Mark Behan, Mark Kimball, Dan Verrington, and Andy King.
11-29 - 11.2 miles (1:12:32) - Salem, Methuen, Lawrence, North Andover - to my sister's house [Route] (roads) - solo.
11-30 - 26 min w/up w/ dd & Mike Masse + 6k Race - Andover CC XC 3.5 M - 2nd place of 366 - 18:03 (5:10 pace) + 30 min cooldown w/ Pete Cahalane & Mike Masse - Andover, MA. - Total 10+

Total Mileage for the week: 70.2

Barring getting sick. this coming Saturday I'll run one more race (Christine's Crusade 5k Trail Race up in Dover, NH) before heading out to San Jose for the week...

4 comments:

  1. Nice run at Andover CC. Although they call it "6k" they also call it 3.5 miles. I think 3.5 miles is even a slight stretch.

    Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I also disagree and think its shorter...they call it a 6k now officially on the form, the glass (you didn't stick around for) etc. But the results say 3.5. In 2007 they called it 3.6 and the times were slower. In 2006 they called it 3.4 and the times were way faster... 3.5 in 2005 and the times were right back to where they were yesterday...so at least they are consistent.... and you are forever pessimistic ;). Nice job in the black uni as well....

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3.5 is stretch. I would have to say 3.4 max but the course isn't exactly a fast one either so based on effort it is hard to tell. It has evolved over the years as townhouses and roads have developed. We used to finish on the roads I think. It is certainly not 6k.

    You sell yourself too short. That was a good race out there and you were the felt the entire way. I just knew I had to get a gap or else you would have gone by the last 200m no problem. Check out the pictures I emailed you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ryan...I got them. I'll use them on here if you don't mind...

    I agree...3.4 or so... but the constant up and down and twist and turns make it a slow go out there... You could probably hear me weezing the whole time...I had a weird stretch for the middle mile or so where I just kept clearing my throat and coughing... I figured you could hear me back there :)....

    Next time, if I'm close (which probably will never happen), I'll try to give you a better race over the last quarter mile or so :)...

    - JJ

    ReplyDelete