Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy turkey day to everyone out there from myself and the lovely and talented Kristin...

We spent the day in North Andover at my sisters' house with my family. We'll do Christmas with Kristin's family this year...that's generally how we do it (alternating years)....

I remember 3 years ago, Thanksgiving of 2005, when I got home from a day of stuffing my face, I was tipping the scale at 180...my highest 'known' weight...I remember that vividly...but for some reason it took me another 10 months to start doing something about it... 

I started the day by going down to the Feaster Five (results) in Andover for the annual Thanksgiving race that MVS puts on in both the 5k and 8k distances.  I was going to go up to Rochester to do the 5k that the Rochester Runners puts on but decided against making the longer trip...It was a last minute decision for me but I decided to give the Feaster Five a go... 5k was the race of choice....  It was fun to finally do it...nothing too special about my time or performance, but conditions were good and its another race I can say I did and move on....  I ran my slowest 5k of the year time-wise but the effort was OK.  The course was pretty slow as there is a pretty long incline during the first mile... I went through the mile in about 8th or 9th place and then, once we hit the top of the hill and turned onto Elm street, I passed a couple people and ran in 5th place for most of the last 2 miles... Just before the race turns onto the last street (which again is all a steady uphill to the finish), I made a move and passed the guy who was running in 2nd almost the entire way, and then a guy who had been one stride ahead of me for the entire race.  I worked up the last uphill behind Chris Volante but was unable to get him over the last 200 meters....I finished 3rd overall in 16:24.  Chris was 2nd and Dartmouth's Glenn Randall was 1st overall and the only guy to break 16 on this relatively tough 5k...  Randall was the 2007 NCAA 10k Freestyle Cross Country Skiing Champion and is a 30:00 10k guy.  One cool thing about today was that 4372 people ran in the 5k, making this the largest field I've ever run in....an additional 2610 ran in the 8k but started with everyone else, making it a total starting field of just about 7000 people.  

Next up (if the next couple days go to plan) is the Andover Country Club 6k XC race on Sunday...

6 comments: