Saturday, September 20, 2008

Video: Merrimack River Trail

Lookout... My first feeble attempt at video production using a 5 year old, 5.1 mega pixel Sony digicam that I dropped in Canobie Lake last Spring (it has since dried out of course, and I am amazed it still works)... Please do not blast me for quality, mistakes, misqueues, errors in timeline, or the fact that yes, if you are familiar with the trails, you will see some of these clips are shot out of order... I was bored yesterday and not looking forward to my run because I feel like dog crap...So to mix it up I drove over to the river trail and messed around with filming some parts of the run (took me about an hour longer than the regular run to put all these shots together)... At first I was pretty pumped to get out there and film some parts of the trail...I wanted to dabble in some video after being inspired by a couple of training montages that Jay Lavalley put together (very cool stuff)....but I realized that I got excited for like 5 minutes and then discovered that video production is boring and I have no patience for it. I used Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 (so you can say I drank my own champagne) for the editing and uploaded to YouTube... No special effects this time...no slowmo or filters or anything...I spent virtually 30 minutes on the editing (most of that time was due to the slow rendering because I had like 20 different things going on on my computer). I did not sync the music to any part of the video and to my absolute amazement, the song I chose was like 3 seconds shorter than all the clips I put in the timeline... I couldn't have cut it any closer if I actually tried... Next one I will spend a little more time on and hopefully invest in a slightly better camera to take video...This one was fighting me the whole way and the quality isn't that great but I think it came out OK for a first timer... Let me know what you think (but only if it's positive) :)


7 comments:

  1. Cool video Jim. It would have been more appropriate if you used "My Hero" instead. Or a clip of you taking a header in one of those bridges like TiVO did back in April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent vid! I especially like the cool "urban art" under route 93 and the runners eye view of running up the powerline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! And Kevin...wait until you hear the context in which you were brought up in the new video I am working on from the race today...Dave dropped your name and BOY was it a doosie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim! That video was so cool! You should start doing videos for Flotrack :-)

    Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool stuff. Inspiring. I will see if I can do one with some Rocky Mountain stuff at some point,.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work Jimmy. Awesome song selection and clips...the part where you run towards the camera and then suddenly away is perfect.

    ya, cutting and editing is such a pain, especially if you're trying to sync it up to the music.

    ReplyDelete