Sunday, January 27, 2008

2008 BU Terrier Classic

Yesterday I ran the 5k at the Terrier Classic at Boston University. This was the first time I have run at this 'new' indoor track since it's inception in the 2002-2003 season. I was used to the dingy old BU Armory building and it's pretty fast track, complete with a whole slew 'dead spots'. This track and facility is absolutely head and shoulders above that place. The old track was pretty fast...but this one has got to be faster.

I was slotted as the 3rd seed in the 3rd heat with a conservative seed time. I was also in the same heat as 2 other MVS runners from Peabody High School. These guys are also being coached by Fernando Braz and were trying to qualify for High School Indoor Nationals (goal met!). I ended up running very even splits to the tune of 15:21, narrowly beating out an MIT runner who led almost the entire way. I nipped him on the last straightaway by 2 tenths of a second to take the heat (my second consecutive heat win!). John Lawrence of MVS and Peabody H.S. (Junior) ran an amazing 15:39 and Alex Gomes, also of MVS and Peabody H.S. ran 16:07. Both will be going to Indoor Nationals in the 5k.

This 15:21 is my new '2nd Generation / Old Man' PR. Because of how comfortable and fluid it felt, running fairly even splits and being very in control most of the way, I have no doubt I can nip another 11+ seconds off my time....possibly before spring. I will be focusing on the Valentine Invite in 2 weeks, again at BU.

I should have my splits added to this entry when I get them from coach...

Dan Vassallo (MVS / Colby College alumn) ran a very strong 5k to take the 2nd heat in a winning time of 14:56. Watching the clock during my warmup, I know that Dan went through the first mile in 4:45, the 3k in 9:00, and then muscled his way to a solid win that was just 10 seconds off his 5k PR of 14:46.

The always lovely, and insanely talented (and patient) Kristin took some solid shots of the 5k, and I took some of the fast 3k heat. Enjoy.

PHOTOS:

Men's 3k (1st Heat - Sean Quigley, Reid Coolsaet, Francis Kasagule, Kyle King, Mark Miller, Harry Norton)

Men's 5k (2nd Heat - Dan Vassallo)

Men's 5k (3rd Heat - Me, John Lawrence, Alex Gomes)

No comments:

Post a Comment