Sunday, December 9, 2007

Training - 12-03-07 to 12-09-07

Weekly Training for 12/03/07 - 12/09/07- Total: 75 miles.


A good week of base mileage after Mill Cities. My Saturday and Sunday runs were very tough because I was really sore from skating Saturday morning (big mistake). The weather outside was frightful...very cold mornings and evenings. Running with teammates this time of year really does help get these longer runs done. With the outdoor winter workout sessions starting back up in January, this month will be chock-full of base mileage. I opted out of the Assault on Mt. Hood this week and continued on with my base training.

Monday - 5pm - 75 minutes in Andover (roads) w/ Molly Taber and Matt Pimentel
Tuesday - 6pm - 80 minutes in Andover (roads & track) w/ Molly Taber and Matt Pimentel - last 2 miles on the indoor track at Andover High School.
Wednesday - 5:30pm - 60 minutes in Andover (roads) w/ Molly Taber, Matt Pimentel, Jon Healey, Dan Vassallo - in the snow.
Thursday - 3pm - 75 minutes in Salem, Methuen, Pelham, Methuen, Salem (roads) - solo.
Friday - 6am - 90 minutes in Andover / North Andover w/ Molly (roads)
Saturday - 3pm - 60 minutes easy in Andover w/ Molly Taber. Skated 2 games in the EMRHL earlier in the day (9am and 11am). I haven't done that in ages....got to work some muscles I had forgotten all about...now I remember them.
Sunday - 8am - 2 hours in Andover with Molly Taber, Jon Healey, Mike Masse, Lars Bjune, Caroline Bjune, and Kevin Sullivan.

Total time running this week was 9 hours and 20 minutes. Since I have been getting running time instead of miles on my schedule recently, and because we ran so many adhoc loops around Andover/North Andover, I had a hard time trying to calculate total distance run this week . Being very conservative with pace (estimating 7:30 pace because of some slower long runs, and medium paced shorter runs), I would say the total milage was around 75.

Also, with the winter setting in and daylight at a premium, I am finding myself back out on the poorly lit and narrow roads after dark. And with the snowbanks piling up and eliminating valuable sidewalk real estate, I have had far too many 'close calls' while doing my late afternoon, evening, or early morning runs. This week I picked up a reflective running vest and a headlamp to wear while running on the roads this winter. The reflective vest is the L.E.D. Runners Vest from Nathan (purchased at Olympia Sports) and the headlamp is PETZL TacTikka Plus Headlamp which I got at EMS. Both of these are really lightweight and add tremendous visibility to you while running in night time traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment