Sunday, November 18, 2007

New England XC Championships

This weekend I ran in the 2007 USATF New England Cross Country Championships at Franklin Park in Boston, MA. This was the last XC race in the 2007 USATF NE XC Grand Prix. Full Results Here.

My strategy for this race (being a 10K) was to go out relaxed and try to hit near 5:20 pace. Normally I have been going out far too quick on the first mile and have paid the consequences for it during my 2nd and 3rd miles. This time around, I made a conscious effort to go out conservatively and try to hit my goal pace. I stayed back where I thought I belonged and still went out in 5:05. My 2nd mile was a classic Franklin Park 5:35. I'd like to think Bear Cage Hill had something to do with that.... I went through my 5k slightly slower than I wanted, but it was far better than I thought it was going to be because I felt horrible. At 2 miles I felt sluggish and spent. Not a good sign w/ 4.2 miles to go. I did manage to run slightly better over my 2nd 5K and come back with a 16:35 to run a 33:22 (for 38th place) which was just under my ultimate goal for this XC race...Any slower than 33:30 and I would have considered it a total dud. In all, I was mediocre this weekend, but I'm not completely dissatisfied. It was my fastest 10K since making my comeback, so I'm pleased in that sense. Next up is the Andover XC race, as I am pretty sure I am foregoing the Feaster Five which is only 3 days away. I think it may be better to run Andover next weekend and Mill Cities the week after. That will wrap up 2007. As always, great pictures are available courtesy of the always lovely and talented Kristin (who was under the weather today, but still braved the chill and got some great shots).

Splits:

1 Mile: 5:05
2 Mile: 10:40 (w/ the hill)
5K: 16:47
4 Mile: 21:37
8K: 26:50
10K - 33:22

1st 5K: 16:47 (5:24 pace)
2nd 5K: 16:35 (5:20 pace)
Total 10K 33:22 (5:22 pace)

Other notables here were MVS teammate Jon Healey (who ran this as just a workout) was 42nd at 33:30 and former UML teammate and current New Balance Boston stud Brad Klinedinst had an off day but still managed to run 32:42 for 24th place.

No comments:

Post a Comment