Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Georgetown 5K

This past Sunday I raced in the 1st Annual Mike Donahoe Memorial 5k in Georgetown, MA. This was a last minute add to the schedule. My coach thought this would be a good opportunity to get all the intangibles together before Mayor's Cup this coming weekend. The day didn't start too well, as I was up late watching the Red Sox game, and woke up slightly dehydrated and packing a very bad headache. It was a good thing that the race was a 12pm start, as it gave me a good opportunity to properly hydrate and stretch. All things aside, the race went surprisingly well, and I was able to run my 2nd generation (post-comeback) PR of 15:53 (results here). This was my first time under 16 since coming back. The course was relatively flat, with only 1 slight uphill at 2 miles and some gentle rolls just before. I stayed right with a pack of about 6 runners for the first 1.5 miles and then made a slight move as we made the turnaround to go back towards the finish. Nobody reacted right away and I was able to build up a lead that I held until the end. My head was definately on a swivel for the last quarter mile, but I was able to hold off former UNH runner Ro Crispin, who finished in a close second place. He had beaten me by only a few seconds at the Market Square Day 10K back in June. My splits were 5:08 5:10 5:06 :27 (last .1). I officially set the course record (as this is the 1st Annual race) and won $100 (also my first cash prize since coming back).

Fellow MVS member and Olympic Trial qualifier Molly Taber also ran and was the first woman across the line in 17:35. She too, walked away with a nice $100 first place cash prize.

Click here for the Flickr set of pictures taken by the lovely and talented Kristin! Next up will be Mayors Cup this weekend ...

No comments:

Post a Comment